At Risk Of Embarrasing Myself

sashbar

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have decided today to go for a walk in our neighboring town ( pretty unspectacular one visually to be honest) for one hour exactly with a camera in order to take 3 photos that I MUST post here, however bad it would come out. It was a cloudy early evening and I had to pump ISO to 800. And with this little stimulus not to embarrass myself I made about 40 shots and here we are.
Three photos + a bonus one. Nothing really great but at least I did not resort to shooting the local church. C&C is most welcome as usual.

$Kingston 1.2.jpg

$Kingston 2 .jpg

$Kingston 3 .jpg

$Kingston 9 .jpg

Last edited:
I think you underestimate yourself :).

Very nicely composed shots, 1 being my favorite.

Nothing to be embarrassed about at all; setting and sticking to a goal is excellent practice in all fields. I like the first and third images; the second doesn't do a lot for me; I think there's a good shot there, but I also think you might just have missed it. The last one I think would be the best of the lot, IF you cropped away the top 1/3; leave just a little of the bottom of the overpass and the image really works. I like the framing on the two ads, and the angle of the bus, seeming to be chasing the cyclist, REALLY works, but as-is, I find the bricks, railing and grafiti just a bit too distracting.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

No embarrassment here.
The first would be truly excellent except for, I think, framing him too much to the left.
Give him a bit more room to his front and it is very nice, imo.

(I did create a bit - albeit clumsily)

Kingston-1llllllll.jpg~original

Not bad at all... you are seeing some interesting things. And capturing some of what you see. #1 for the win... conversion is pretty good. I do agree with Lew's edit suggestion!

Thanks guys, I agree about the first shot, but I had to crop the space in front of the old man - the background was really poor there - rubbish bag, people walking past etc. It wouid have involved too much PS and I am not really good at it.

Terrific photo of the old man and I agree with Lew about the crop.

Joe

I like the idea of the plant behind the old guy, it was a plan. It's just a plan that didn't work. Possibly the plant and fence could be brought out more to create balance and to do something with that space, but I am not at all convinced it work be a success:

$foo.jpg

The first shot is truly nice. The curve of the cane echoes the curve of his back and spine. That is what grabs me immediately, and it suggests something about aging that is challenging and worth contemplating. A good street portrait, for me, has to have that element of meaning something.

Good job.

We are often our own worst critics, right? lol

I'm not very good at taking pics of ppl; I learn different perspectives from threads like this. I love the man with the cane and the tables too. I think you done good. ;) I feel like your photos here tell a story; I like when photos can do that rather than "staged" subjects and such. Thank you for taking the time to share your work!

I'm not very good at taking pics of ppl; I learn different perspectives from threads like this. I love the man with the cane and the tables too. I think you done good. ;) I feel like your photos here tell a story; I like when photos can do that rather than "staged" subjects and such. Thank you for taking the time to share your work!
I couldn't agree more.

I think these are far from embarrassing. They have London Flavor! Each shot seems to be self-contained. Sure, a minor nit here or there, but far from awful.

I'm really new so I only know what I like. I think you took some nice shots. I only have a comment on one of them. #3 keeps grabbing me and then disappointing me. It's probably just me. I want to focus on the swan but I keep being drawn to the blue spot to the NW of the swans head. I'm being drawn into the background and leaving the swan behind. Then I get annoyed at myself because I want to look at the swan but that spot keeps distracting me. But again, probably just me.

People only think that until they start posting pictures. :lol:

I'm really new so I only know what I like. I think you took some nice shots. I only have a comment on one of them. #3 keeps grabbing me and then disappointing me. It's probably just me. I want to focus on the swan but I keep being drawn to the blue spot to the NW of the swans head. I'm being drawn into the background and leaving the swan behind. Then I get annoyed at myself because I want to look at the swan but that spot keeps distracting me. But again, probably just me.

Two things.
Don't disqualify your opinion by saying 'that's only me' or 'I'm new at this.' People are asking for your opinion and you are doing the work to think about their photo and then giving an opinion. That's a fair exchange.

Second, thinking about why you do or why you don't like something is a primary and infinitely valuable step in your own growth as a photographer. As you become aware of the elements of a photo that 'work', then you can recognize how to use these elements in your own work.

Most reactions

Back