At the fork in the road

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I assume this is a binned shot but looking for input. I think I need a tilt and shift lens. I wanted straight lines but didn't consider backing up further to maybe learn on doing it in software. I hate editing. This was a down hill road, old building. Fujifilm GFX50R . 63mm f/2.8

1. If I allow for an image crop, can software correct something like this? I want it flat, in your face. I hate editing for what it's worth.

2. I assume the right tool for the job is a view camera with movements. Is there different options for me? I own a Nikon D610 as well. Should I consider a tilt shift lens for F mount? I love the resolution and image quality of the GFX but they do not have a tilt shift.

DSCF4732-E.jpg

I believe the operation you are looking for is 'keystone'. That can fix the verticals etc. I have no idea how to do it like but I'm sure someone will be along shortly that does. Youtube is always worth a search to see if there are tutorials on how to do it with whatever software you use for PP.

This is the easiest way in PS. Duplicate the layer then go to the edit menu, scroll down to Transform and select distort.

transform.jpg

Pull guides from the side and top to the lowest point of the distortion for your horizontal or vertical guides. When you select "Distort" a box will show up with corner points you can drag up and out. and in most cases you can correct this issue. Some of this can also be done in your RAW editor, either in LR or Bridge/ACR.

transform-2.jpg

If I allow for an image crop, can software correct something like this?

Yes it can be done in Ps, but it's easier in LR>Develop Module>Transform> using the vertical, horizontal, rotate, and aspect, if you don't mind cropping. Using the sliders adjust the image in real time to the guide lines, you're done.

You actually have two issues, first is vertical, if you draw an imaginary perpendicular line from the center of your lens to the point it makes contact with the building, and then draw a line from the center of your lens to the top of the building, that line will be longer, which results in the vertical distortion in the image. If you draw a line from the center of your lens to each side of the building in this image you'll see that one side is longer, which has resulted in horizontal distortion in the image. (you weren't completely perpendicular to the building. As you noted a tilt/shift lens will help though depending on the height of the building, I don't know if it will completely eliminate it. Moving further back will also make it less noticeable. It's not a difficult correction in LR, takes all of about 2 mins, but it's better if you make note to center on the building in the horizontal plane. I included the image corrected without cropping to show you how it affected your original image.

edit.jpg

I know you're always up for a challenge, have you considered "Freelensing"? Freelensing: Make a DIY "Poor Man's Tilt-Shift" by Breaking a Cheap Prime Lens

I was looking at the post on my phone, so I tried to correct the lean in Photos on my phone. There are three crop functions built in, one with standard crop features, one that can change the “lean” back or forward, which I used here, and one that lets you pivot either way around a vertical axis. So it was just import, crop and slide. BTW, the crop function on my MacBook Pro only has the standard crop function, so I often have to finish an edit on my (0ld) iPhone 7+.
This looks pretty good to me, but I’ve gotten valuable criticism of shots that looked good to me before.
9C69EDF4-447B-48AF-A12D-7C184889C0B4.jpeg

The only issue with the transform module in both LR and ACR is they tend to square up the outsides but cause a bit of a bulge in the middle - a splaying out of sorts or lose one vertical or horizontal line. I noticed in Smoke's edit (slightly, but there) but that said, to do it in PS takes just about a minute,, maybe less once you get the hang of it...nothing is going to work on an image shot incorrectly to start with...well, maybe not nothing but would take a whole lot of work and I think we all agree on that. Using that module, while I get relatively straight walls, the top loses level...and is why I use the transform/distort tool more often.

jd.jpg

Some great responses, thank you very much.

Using that module, while I get relatively straight walls, the top loses level

I did a quick correct that straightened just the vertical and horizontal. There's an option to constrain crop which would have corrected the splaying, but I left it unchecked to show where the most changes occurred on the image. Ps and Lr have their place in editing, I use both as needed, but in the case of distortion due to perspective, I believe Lr has the edge. Plus there's the nondestructive advantage and a file size that's way less then a PSD.

The transform module in Lr has the same abilities as the Transfom Tool in Ps with a slew of added features. LR gives you five "intuitive" tabs Auto, Vertical, Level, Full, and Guided, plus the ability to tweek thoses settings with the sliders. Each of the tabs pretty much does as the title suggests, but truthfully I haven't seen much difference between Auto and Full. The Guided tool is the one I find most interesting and useful. With it you can simply draw up to four lines directly on the image that Lr will use to correct the distortion, and you don't even have to be in the develop module to use it. Pressing CTRL T in the Library Module gives you instant access.

Last edited:
For me, it's an either or, and I have been doing PS for so long, I just naturally go there. I just don't do LR at all.

For me, it's an either or, and I have been doing PS for so long, I just naturally go there. I just don't do LR at all.

It was hard for me at first as well, people my age don't do change. LOL Ps is a powerful editor that's been around for years, it worked so why change. Gradually however I learned the value and advantages of using all that Adobe offers from Bridge, to Lr, to Ps. If you'll notice of late, Adobe is concentrating more updates on seamless integration between the modules.

I don't use PS or LR but y'all gave me enough info to where I found a how to video using Gimp. Gonna play when I get off the road.

All the software ways.

I personally would have gone with either a bellows system or T/S system.
But thats just me.

Most reactions

Back