At what point do you risk your life for great shots??

Best to check out the area in broad daylight with someone else or a group of friends then if you really want to take pics their make sure you go with at least one other person and if their is any risk let others know where your going.

Oh, and take a mobile phone!

Are you nuts? If you're not someone who belongs there and you're bringing an expensive camera with you, YOU'RE DEAD. Find another place to take photos.

If you are going to kill yourself, Please do it somewhere your parts can be salvaged. In other words, If you don't care about your vital organs, make sure they go to someone who will!

mike

The best light is early in the morning, and all cops know this is a good time to do busts and raids because the drug dealers and criminals are finally passed out, or relatively subdued. If you can find another person or two to come with you, you should be home-free.

This actually sounds very feasible. Good luck!

If you are going to kill yourself, Please do it somewhere your parts can be salvaged. In other words, If you don't care about your vital organs, make sure they go to someone who will!

mike

Dibs on his camera equipment!

I say go for it, take the chance. Life's too short not to throttle the hell out of it.

the fact it may be a dangerous place will make the shots you get much better, at least to your own eye ;)

Wow... it seems that a lot of people automatically assume that becuase AUZambo said it's a "Bad Area" he's guarnteed to get mugged, beaten, shot, etc.

Drug dealers tend to not want attention. They're more likely to ignore you, as long as you don't look like you're trying to take pictures of them. And most other criminals are oportunists. If you don't look like an easy mark, they'll move on. So yes, bring someone with you, but that goes for anywhere you're not familiar and comfortable. You're probably more likely to get mugged in times square than in the "Bad" part of town.

I've lived in the "bad" part of town most of my life. I've had little to no difficulty. 99% of the people are just people, and the remaining people are usually not interested in you. In my experience, the "worse" the neighborhood that I've lived in, the more likely I am to know my neighbors and watch out for them.

Well Morydd, he did specifically say he didn't feel same without wearing a bullet proof vest, and that he saw that locally drug dealers are using abandon buildings as offices. Sure drug dealers dont want to get caught, but if he walked into a makeshift office of a local dealer... it might be dangerous.

The more obvious danger is shooting, alone, in an abandon area... if 5 guys walked by and saw him using expensive equipment they might decide it's time for him to give them that equipment!!!

Then give them it, thats what insurance is for...

Oh yeah it's just as simple as handing over the equipment, tipping your hat to the fine gentlemen who just purloined said camera, and if they left you your cell phone and car, you can call the insurance company on the way home, and by the time you get there they will have a new shiny camera ready for you!

It's just that simple.

Ive been mugged before. I know how it goes down. So yeah, it CAN be that simple, or you can try to be a tough guy and get shot.

taking on board a few of the above ideas.... i would opt for the....

bright orange or yellow jacket... hard hat :)
and pretend to be a surveyor, with a friend!!

and go at 9am... not much earlier cos druggies stay up all night and sleep all day

sounds like a great place for photos to me.... but then i am 3500 miles away :D

last but not least, post your pics on here :)

Ive been mugged before. I know how it goes down. So yeah, it CAN be that simple, or you can try to be a tough guy and get shot.

I don't know if you've read the thread but no one suggested defending himself.

Your post made it sound like A, he wouldnt be hurt and B, the insurance companies just cough over a cool grand everyday with no problem.

My experience is life is not that simple.

AUZambo, if you are bound and determined to shoot there, go to your local news paper and talk to the City Editor. Tell him/her what you want to do and try to get enlisted as a free lance photographer (take a portfolio). Ask for any advice he might have and who the best person in the police force would be to go to for company.

It may be that there is a photography enthusiast on the force who would like to go-in uniform- or a detective willing to spend an hour or two there just to show the flag. I think you will find that with the fact that even if you are not with the paper, having gone to the paper will show that you are not just out for "kicks and giggles".

In any case, do NOT go anywhere you think is unsafe thinking that having a camera will save you. If you wouldn't go there without one, don't go with one. And in all cases, know what you want to say with your work before hand and be willing to be proven wrong.

mike

Check out this forum

28DaysLater

It's not my forum but it is one where i regularly post. It's all about Urban Exploration, finding unique shots, how to gain access....you get the idea.

I think it's relevant to your question. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back