At what point do you risk your life for great shots??

Great forum, thanks for the link. Exactly my kind of crowd!

Oh just grow a pair and get the shots, just do it quickly.

I think we all hear "drug dealers" and naturally assume that the second you step out of your car swarms of doped up, 250 lbs men will start crawling out of the windows with clubs, speaking in tongues and stalk you until you're gone. Really, I'd be surprised if you'd even run into anymore or at worst someone would yell some pleasantries at you and you'd just take that a sign that your shoot is over and then take off.

Now if you REALLY want to make a sport of it wear a shirt with "D.E.A." on it.

Strategically, it looks like you have quite a bit of open area between you and the 'bad guys'. After that is, "The only thing to fear is fear itself."

I think you've got good reason to be hesitant. I think drug users and homeless people are more likely to be lurking in abandoned buildings than drug dealers, in which case there could be hyperdermic needles lying around along with the other dangers of possibly entering someones home..

Staying clear sounds like the best option. Then again, i'd go in. ;)

With all due respect, you can tell this is a predominantly American forum.

Why do you automatically assume that you will be murdered when you get out of your gated communities? & before you ask i myself lived in Philly for a year (Go Soul!) and never encountered a single problem.

Get the shot, get it posted & admire your work.

I'd rather wake up of a morning and think 'why the hell did i do that?' than rue the fact that i let something pass me by.

Grow a pair & get in there! :thumbup:

I agree just go do it in the morning you'll be fine. Ijust came back from Nicaragua and let me tell you contrary to popular beliefe that place is safe. I walked the streets all day with my camera in hand and got some great shots. Often times people will be more interested in what your taking pictures of than robbing you. Think of it this way, why would a drug dealer steal your camera he/she makes enough money from their trade and could buy there own camera. One night I was out late in a secluded part of the city, a younger kid came by me a couple times I though he was waiting for a chance to grab my camera and run, he eneded up asking for a cigarette and we talked about photography for a minute before he was on his way... look at it this way maybe you meet s local person who can ccompany you to some truely dangerous places where you'll be able to get shots noone else could, thats about as likely as you getting hurt, worst comes to worse you loose your camera. I would say go with a friend if that makes you more comfortable or if you cop friend is available that would be great.

I say do it too. Just bring someone with you. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Sif, it's sad to say, but I think you are right about most people's mentality here. I live in Denver, and whenever I hear anyone talking about "bad" neighborhoods, I just laugh. They are pretty much non-existant. Here in Denver, I mean. I'm sure there are much worse neighborhoods in some bigger cities, but people often assume the worst.

Well, to answer the thread's question..Never, I suppose. I'd never die for a photo, that's crazy.

ide probably die for a photo if it was so breath taking it put people in hospital.

I'm intrigued by the circle around the "bad area". Particularly the houses only half-covered by the circle. Are there drug-dealers living on one side of the houses and honest respectable citizens who never illegally downloaded an MP3 on the other? I hope they have a cleaning rota.

:lmao:

If you run into trouble you can always point one of these instead of camera.:shock:

DSC01578click.jpg

Don't go in with the attitude that you're risking your life!

Also, remember that in addition to the possibility of sketchy people, you have to think about things like structural safety-- holes in floors, ceilings falling in, etc. Bring some pepper spray in case of dogs and consider a respirator for airborne pollutants.

I loved the concept of the "drug dealer's office," like in the midst of all this debris, there's a desk and some filing cabinets, and a guy with gold teeth with his feet up on the desk flanked by two three-hundred pound body guards in black suits and sunglasses. And of course they hold this pose twenty four hours a day. Beautiful. :lmao:

Also, remember that in addition to the possibility of sketchy people, you have to think about things like structural safety-- holes in floors, ceilings falling in, etc. Bring some pepper spray in case of dogs and consider a respirator for airborne pollutants.

You forgot a metal umbrella to protect against objects falling from planes :lmao:... ah yes death is just around every corner... the consequences of what in this country would be diagnosed as "reading the Daily Mail".

I loved the concept of the "drug dealer's office," like in the midst of all this debris, there's a desk and some filing cabinets, and a guy with gold teeth with his feet up on the desk flanked by two three-hundred pound body guards in black suits and sunglasses. And of course they hold this pose twenty four hours a day. Beautiful. :lmao:

And, of course, the 'leetle friend'.

Most reactions

Back