ATM Horror Story...

bace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So it's Saturday night past. I venture out for a night of fine Italian Cuisine with a fine looking specimen of the female persuasion. Thank god we were just friends, because if this were a date, there is no WAY I could rebound from this disaster. So the dinner was scrumptious, and shortly after finishing our wine, the bill arrives. I'm quick to ask if the exept interac, to which the friendly waitress replied "No". I was slightly miffed at this because they did have a credit card machine which can be used for Interac if set up properly. The waitress did direct me to the nearest ATM machine to which I replied, "I will be back in a few minutes then".

So of I go into the night, being sure to carry with me my trusty debit card. The waitress was correct when she said it was nearby. The lovely "Save Mart" was locate two doors down, and there in the back left corner stood the very machine that is still causing me so much "woah". I scamper to the machine, to find myself in waiting for another, more succesful patron to finish his transaction before I unknowingly embark on the transaction...FROM HELL.

Now, before I go on, it must be known that at this particular instance I only had a balance of $116 in my chequing account. The bill at the restuarant was, with tip, $80. Knowing I was going out to see the lovely entertainment of miss Lindi Otega (see thread entitle: Breaking News.), I decided to make a withdrawal of the entire $100.

I now embark on my transaction. Placing the card in the lowely machine I punch in my secret code ("bace"...jk!) and request the money. All seems well as the machine begins churning and the printer begins printing. A few seconds later a single $20 bill flies into the catch tray. Another loud noise emenates and then a disheartening "beep". There it is on the screen clear as day..."Out of Service. Please try again later.".

Alright. A mild set back. The receipt that printed out said, and I quote:

Requested $100.00
Dispensed $20.00
Charge $1.50
-------
Total $21.50

At best I figure, I just lost $1.50 to some stupid ATM maching. Lesson Learned; go to real bank machine.

So off I treck, back into the night to find myself another machine that hasn't run out of money. Coincidentally I have to walk back past the very window, of the very restuarant at which my friend was waiting by the window. We exchanged glances and she seemed mildly amused that I had to go to another machine. (note: the tea that I'm drinking while writing this tastes like crap, how annoying)

The next machine. A little nicer. It's an "in the wall" machine. If only I had known of it's exsistence so near by I may have saved myself such grief and turmoil, but alas I am now SURE the waitress is a part of this whole scheme.

This is where it get's interesting. After a quick bit of math it's obvious that I should still have more than enough cash in my account to continue with my original plan and extract an additional $80 from my account to add to my existing $20 (yes kids that equal $100). Quickly I punch in the digits as I'm now aware of my fine lady friend waiting alone in a strange Italian restuarant. Her lonelines masked only by the knowledge that she wasn't paying for a damn thing. After punching in the amount of my withdrawal I am asked "wait while we process you transaction". So I wait.

Then, a moment of sheer horror errupts inside of me. There infront me the ATM machine displayed the words "INSUFFICIENT FUNDS". Horror turns to denial. Denial turns to anger. Anger turns to acceptance. Acceptance turns into...something that prompted me to try my telephone banking and find out what has happened to my money.

(this story is going on way too long, but it's kind-off fun writing it out, I hope you're enjoying it as much as I am...except for the crappy tea)

The call didn't go so well. First of all my bank has now implement a new "Voice Activated" feature. Which is surprisingly FAR more annoying than the regular automated number pressing options thing. Eventually after talking to a machine for a few minutes I'm told that my account balance is now $14.50. Now for the slow people that means that the Machine of Death actually took $101.50 from my account, but only gave me $20. Well, now I'm clearly pissed right the F#%& off.

To wrap up the story, basically I had to call customer service of my personal banking institution. They gave me a temporary overdraft (at a service charge of $5). I had to walk another 10mins, to a bank machine owned by my own bank. Take out the cash. Bring it back. Pay for the bill all while my friend was waiting in the strange Italian restuarant.

The company that owns the ATM says they have sent the money back to my account, but that it will take a few days. I called the woman who owns the company and bitched her out. She said she will get me the $5 fee back too. I doubt she will. Or if I'll actually go through the trouble of getting it.

The moral of the story; Never trust a lowely ATM in the back left corner of a "save mart" on Bloor St. W. in Toronto.

The End.

bace said:
Then, a moment of sheer horror errupts inside of me. There infront me the ATM machine displayed the words "INSUFFICIENT FUNDS". Horror turns to denial. Denial turns to anger. Anger turns to acceptance. Acceptance turns into...

Very true!:lol:

"WHAT? Oh no!:pale: There must be enough in! :confused: Stupid damn machine!:pissed:I can't get my money out :-( ."

That happened to a mate of mine who tried drawing out $400 from a 3rd party ATM and only got $50, let's just say the sh!t hit the fan and all hell broke loose! :|
He got his $350 back so all was good in the end. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back