Attempting to shoot transit of Venus in front the sun in a few hrs, had a question.

SensePhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this only happens once every 105 yrs. We will have people lined up at the beach after 6pm ET trying to capture Venus transiting in front of the sun.

My question is...does anyone have any pointers as far as shooting directly in the sun light? Filters, etc. And is it safe for my camera sensor?

This is how it should come out if done right.

$0605-venus-transit_full_600.jpg

i am going to attempt to shoot this as well and was wondering the same question. Don't burn your retnas shooting!!!

i am going to attempt to shoot this as well and was wondering the same question. Don't burn your retnas shooting!!!

lol i dont think we are getting any help here

Um, I'd say it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay to late to start gearing up for this.

Yep! At least a week to late, so you would have time to make some test shots.

Your next opportunity will be in December of 2117.

Yep! At least a week to late, so you would have time to make some test shots.

Your next opportunity will be in December of 2117.

I hope my D4 gets here by then. :lol:

I picked up a #12 welding helmet lens and caulked it to a lens cup. I've heard that a #14 or slightly higher is recommended. I think what I did should work just fine, but a face a problem of living in Ohio.... overcast today. Figures.

I forgot to mention, I picked the welding lens up at a hardware store.

Step 1: Grab a lawn chair
Step 2: Grab some binoculars
Step 3: Stare directly into the sun with aforementioned binoculars
Step 4: Have an image of Venus permanently burned into your vision (oh... and go blind...)

Photos are for pussies! Go all in!

Step 1: Grab a lawn chair
Step 2: Grab some binoculars
Step 3: Stare directly into the sun with aforementioned binoculars
Step 4: Have an image of Venus permanently burned into your vision (oh... and go blind...)

Photos are for pussies! Go all in!
That's actually exactly what I was going to do, if it wasn't so cloudy... I was going to use my Solar binoculars though - they have permanently affixed Solar filters. (The Sun is actually the only thing you can even see through them.)

edit
Sometimes you do get some looks when people see you looking at the Sun through binoculars...lol! The filters pretty much look just like mirrors. You can't see the solar flares, but you can see all of the sunspots.

Last edited:
A fair bit more than a week ago I was ready--

Baader solar filter film: check
Filter mount for SCT: check
T-ring for camera: check
T-adaptor for SCT visual back: check
Shop made sun finder: check
Tuned up alt-azm mount: check

Solid overcast today: check

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's awesome Josh! :p I was completely kidding, but apparently there was some truth to what I said! That sounds really interesting!

Me and my family went to a local university who has a observatory and viewed there. Yes, I saw Venus and few sun spots as well.

The next event I like to take photos is the total eclipse that can be viewed in some cities in North America. (Aug 21 2017). Still have few years to prepare.

Most reactions

Back