Attn. Mansi: "Street photography" (???)

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Mansi and I have talked about how much more difficult it is in my country to get some decent street shots, since people do not want someone else who they do not know to take their photo! That - I would assume - is very different in countries, where only some have got a camera and many rarely get their photo taken at all. In India, so I would think, it is possible and helps a lot to walk up to the people, stop and chat a while, and then step back and take their photo. Here, all I can do is make use of my 300mm.

So these were taken on a very bright day in June in the midday sun (i.e. before my 35mm Canon started to fail on me and had to go to "camera hospital" until yesterday), the first two are "lunch break", the third is "The Mayor" (that's how that man came to be smiling into my camera, he is used to getting his photo taken - and later whisperingly asked his companions, "Who is she? You know her? Who does she work for?" :D). The fourth and last are "School's out".

Street.jpg

Street2.jpg

Street3.jpg

Street4.jpg

Street5.jpg

Do you prefer "street photography" in black and white?

I think it depends on the shot if it needs to be in B&W or not. I think number two might look better in b&W, but 3 is good in colour...

Anyway, you who loves colour, how dare you even mention the term B&W? There is no GREEN in that! :D (Unless you give the whole thing as green tint...?!? ;))

Oh, when I looked at these, I realized how much I actually want to have a telephoto lens... So many more possibilities! And you're right, people in some countries don't like their picture taken.
Good job, LaFoto! I like the DOF in these photos. And I like them in color. Does "Kreiszeitung" mean "Crisis"?

Great job lafoto... I don't think i've ever seen a street photograph from you before. And you've done very well.

The second last one is my favourite! the one where they're on the bikes riding away from you. i think it's great! :thumbup:

You may want to consider cropping "The Mayor" because umm... well he's re-adjusting the family jewels in that photo. heheeh. :blushing:

oooh..lafoto.... love the bike guys photo...that one really is cool....like the rest too...

i'm with you on how hard it is...here in america, at least the south, everyone wants to know why you want their pic, and who are you...unless your in your home town, and then everyone here knows i am weird...so they are used to it...

your doing good with this...makes me wanna try it again....your inspiring me, lafoto.

Meysha, no. He is not doing THAT. He was in the process of sitting down (his friends from the town council are sitting already, as you can see), and he was slightly pulling up his trousers so he could comfortably sit. ;) Honestly!

And no, Kropka, "Kreis" has got nothing to do with "crisis", it is our word for "circle", but on this newspaper, the word has a different meaning again, for it covers the local "district", which is also being called "Kreis".

And aprilraven ... me? An inspiration? Hardly. But thank you all the same :blushing:
I know the guy on the bike. He is one of my son's friends from the swim club. But I only realised I was focussing in on HIM when I had him in my zoom, it was quite a surprise ;).

Hey Corinna.. nice set of photographs...:thumbup:
the sun seems a bit harsh but then theres nothing you can really do to control that except in some cases where a fill flash would work... one of the problems i have here shooting out in the bright bright sun.
i like the fourth and fifth one.. the fourth could work real well in a dramatic b/w. Where b/w is concerned it doesnt work on all street photos (my thinking).. i guess one has to judge by the feeling/emotion imparted by a photo .. i also think that b/w is significant of harsh reality esp when i go out to shoot street.... a lot of times it works there.
Do you prefer "street photography" in black and white?
As far as for when i shoot yes i LOVE b/w street :heart: wish i could shoot b/w film though.. i love the quality about it.. but the dslr just gives me room for improvement and experimentation..
ok back to the photos :banghead: *bangin head on wall for running off topic*
like the expression on the mayors face...sweet!
a suggestion for the last one, if you were to try it again (not saying i dont like this) would be to pan your camera... capturing some movement in the shot
In India, so I would think, it is possible and helps a lot to walk up to the people, stop and chat a while, and then step back and take their photo.
that is what i would do.. basically just ask them .. most do not want any media persons taking photos.. so when i assure that its for my personal work they let me do my thing (at times)... i'd also rather shoot close then with a telephoto if they are cool with me taking shots ... the street can turn nasty though at times ;)

neverthless i think i wrote too much of stuff that wont make sense :blushing:
you did great corinna.. shoot more :D :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing these :D :D :D

well... street photographyin our countries is very difficult now, as you said. What's more, people became bored with pictures of homeless or the poor. Many people who like viewing pictures, would like to see something exotic, different cultures, and this is what Mansi posts here.

but, Corinna, I like the last picture a lot!. and I think that they would look fantastic in b&w...

is it against the law to take someones picture without them giving permission? or is that just with children?

Very nice job Corinna. I prefer steet photography in black and white, but that is just me, and I have never really tried street photography. I get kicked out of cemeteries, so I can imagine what would happen to me on the street :confused: :lmao:
To me black and white seems more dramatic.
I like all of these images, but the last is my fave. Well done. :thumbup:

bry05 said:
is it against the law to take someones picture without them giving permission? or is that just with children?

I don't think it is against the law to take the photo.
What I keep worrying about all the time is: how about putting it up into something as public as this board, for example???
And I am not worried about The Mayor.
He is a "person of public rights", he has his photo published in newspapers and so on all the time (and he loves the media, from what I know).
But like my son's friend from the swim club...

By the way, I converted all five into black and white even before I started this thread, just for me to see what they would look like in b+w. The man checking his little notebook was hardest to work on with my limited knowledge, skill and software. The light is quite too bright on him (and the fair lady and the mayor) in many spots. If someone wants to try... feel free.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back