Attn wildlife photographers: to feed or not to feed?

Vintage remember that baiting for a few days or even a week with a small amount of food is unlikely to cause harm unless the animal is being attracted well outside of its territory or if its on a territorial boundary. Small food like that would be an opportune moment for the animal to partake in the food and if the food isn't there ever again the animal shouldn't come to harm.

The real damage is done when its regular for weeks to months and when the amount itself is substantial. At that point the sudden ending of food can be detrimental unless timed with other factors (eg cutting off food to coincide with migration).

And hockey players CAN be baited. First off you've got a natural lure of the pitch where you know, with 100% certainty that they will turn up there. After or before you can even bait them with money or other perks to get them to pose for you.
Wildlife is different and to be done safely does require more planning and thought and awareness. But it can be done if one chooses to do it. Natural lures and hot-spots do exist, but can sometimes be inaccessible or impractical or even dangerous to use. Meanwhile sometimes the angle isn't right as in the example earlier of a bear.

I think baiting, much like camera traps; gets a lot of flak because the "wildlife photographer" is often viewed as a bit of a godly power of stalking. That they are able to twist their bodies into insane locations and become one with the natural world to get amazing photos. When in actuality traps, tricks, bait and more are often used to aid such work.
Done responsibly nothing gets hurt; animals go on their normal lives and photographers get some photos.

There are irresponsible individuals though and they are teh reason that there are laws against some forms of photography. In the UK there's a list of birds you cannot photograph at the nest without licence

The issue with baiting around here is only part of the bigger issue and that is "birders" vs "photographers". Most"birders" around here would like to see bird photography banned.

not such a great idea to attract animals then to have them keep coming back to no food.

Yup the last time I planted sweet corn was in 2013. I used the tractor and planter to put about 3 acres of corn. The thinking was that the deer would have some, and we would have enough for the freezer. After the expense and caring for it, I was watching for it to get ripe. The deer never even made an appearance, till the night before the morning I was set to harvest. When we went to the field it looked like a steam roller had gone through, didn't get a single ear. So yeah, it's not a great idea to feed them to well LOL

Even I know you're not supposed to put out bird feed (or whatever critter food) unless you intend to keep feeding them. I don't because the birds already think my bushes are their condos, and I have baby robins on the downspout so they have made themselves at home without any encouragement.

Listen, if I couldn't bait hockey players to stand where I wanted them to be for a picture, then you shouldn't do it to other wildlife either.

I'm being a smartass but really, don't people know not to bait animals?? We do have a controlled deer season here because there aren't many natural predators and the deer get overrun to the point of darting across the road even in the 'burbs and eating crops, etc. etc. I guess if you don't have the inclination to sit in a bird blind for a long time and such things then you aren't cut out to be a wildlife photographer.
Sharon, you can bait hockey players. It is actually very simple. All you need is some hookers & strippers. :biggrin-new:

We have fed the deer, pheasant, quail, rabbits and many other creatures for years. Some directly and some secondarily. When you raise crops and beef you provide food for many. Often easy sources of food. It can't be helped. Deer like corn as do other animals, milo and wheat also attract critters. Chickens attract foxes and coyotes. They also feed on the rabbits that hang around for the garden as well as the pheasant and quail. Humans, buy their very nature of needing to feed himself feeds a whole plethora of wild life. We loose a small bit of crop, a chicken or two but we all have to eat including the vast amount of wildlife that lives on our land.

I also have always had no problem filling our larder with wild game. Pheasant, prairie chicken, and quail, a deer once a year as well as catfish and perch. All good eating as well as controlling populations that could get out of hand in these times if not legally thinned.

When we went to the field it looked like a steam roller had gone through, didn't get a single ear.
At our place in the country (don't own it anymore) there were a few fruit trees, some berries, and a small patch of asparagus that was overgrown with grass. I had read somewhere that salt would kill grass but not asparagus, so I salted that area. The deer ate it all, including the roots. Apparently it just needed a little salt.

@Designer we routinely have small herds of 8 to 10 deer at a time visiting. (Might have something to do with the free food). Once they stared bringing the babies to the yard, and my wife made pets of them that was the end of hunting for me.

I am a master baiter. Oh wait wrong forum..

I personally am against baiting raptors for photography. I want my photography to reflect the real deal. When I first started out I was blown away by Miguel Lasa's Osprey images. I lost all respect for them when I found out that they were taken at a place that actively injures trout and tosses them in the water to get the Osprey to dive close.

I am also very against "birders" that will get in the face of owls with their iPhones to snap a picture...

Absolutely not a fan of this especially when we talk about dead rodents they may have died from poisons then poisons the raptor afterwards. I don't think live baiting should be done either be a real sportsman learn some skills, get longer lenses and put the time in. 4 years and I still have no osprey dive's but if or when I do,It won't be from cheating. I never cheated at anything in life and perhaps thats why I have less then some others, but I am not about to start now. Though I did think about getting a hat with a stuffed fuzzy pink mouse hanging from it.:1247:

Last edited:
Absolutely not a fan of this especially when we talk about dead rodents they may have died from poisons then poisons the raptor afterwards. I don't think live baiting should be done either be a real sportsman learn some skills, get longer lenses and put the time in. 4 years and I still have no osprey dive's but if or when I do,It won't be from cheating. I never cheated at anything in life and perhaps thats why I have less then some others, but I am not about to start now. Though I did think about getting a hat with a stuffed fuzzy pink mouse hanging from it.
Well, you know where I live and where the Osprey dive :) I've invited you before, just saying...

Yes I remember but then you had to work and we never set anything up after but yeah one day lets meet and vice versa your more then welcome to come down here to and we can meet up. I been really thinking of taking a little road trip out that way and Essex area see if I could find some owls or an eagle or something.

I am a master baiter. Oh wait wrong forum..

I personally am against baiting raptors for photography. I want my photography to reflect the real deal. When I first started out I was blown away by Miguel Lasa's Osprey images. I lost all respect for them when I found out that they were taken at a place that actively injures trout and tosses them in the water to get the Osprey to dive close.

I am also very against "birders" that will get in the face of owls with their iPhones to snap a picture...

I agree 100%. I am lucky to live near places that Osprey frequent (I have even had them land on the telephone pole in the back yard to eat lunch!), as well as many other birds. If I miss one I am hoping to see, oh well, better luck next time. As far as the owls, it's gotten to the point that a couple of groups I am in you are not allowed to post where you've seen/photographed them, exactly for that reason. I have a nice set of binoculars and a very long lens so I don't have to get close, but the iPhone users man...smh.

I don't like baiting but around my area we have groups that go out and bait the snowy owls I have taken shots of the snows being baited and flying but I prefer the flight shots I get of a snowy flying for some other reason other then them being baited

Most reactions

Back