Audio advice from you fine folks

Pallycow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I have never played with video much. The local band I shoot often hit me up about video, and last time I was hanging out at the show and shooting, I decided to do video and see what it's like.

I'm clueless for the most part, so I'm just starting to read and learn.

I have a Canon 7D. I set up tripod near the sound guy and recorded a song. To my surprise, it didn't sound terrible. Sure the built in limiters or whatever you call them clipped it a bit, but for naked dSLR I was not unimpressed. Video was outstanding, so that's a plus.

My question, as I like to ask those with experience vs. google myself to death, is what is the best source/method for recording live bands.

I have read good reviews on the Rode VideoMic..for on camera mic, and the zoom H4n for off camera recording to syn later. Both are within ideal startup budget, but not at the same time. So if I was to get one, which would be ideal to get? The band is gonna help me get one since they are interested in having good video.

They have a new sound guy who is awesome, set up new boards and stuff like that (I'm not into it so I dunno what it is or called), I'm certain it has the capability to output to the Zoom H4n, so I'm thinking that would be ideal.

What's some of your thoughts or education for me to get pointed in the right direction to learn?

Thanks.

If you know the sound guy, you can always get the recording straight from him. Then you can delete the sound of the video and merge it with the sound directly from the sound guy.

I thought about that, I was not sure how much of a pain in the ass it is to combine/sync the different sources.

If you have your on camera audio track and the audio from the sound guy it's pretty easy. You can just pull up the two sound files and sync them via the sound, instead of via the video to sound. Then just delete the on camera track after they're synced up.

If you have to sync audio to video, sync off the drummer's snare. Find the peak from the snare, watch him hit the snare, match those up and you'll be dead on.

If you have your on camera audio track and the audio from the sound guy it's pretty easy. You can just pull up the two sound files and sync them via the sound, instead of via the video to sound. Then just delete the on camera track after they're synced up.

If you have to sync audio to video, sync off the drummer's snare. Find the peak from the snare, watch him hit the snare, match those up and you'll be dead on.

Good call. I've screwed around with video and audio editing before, so as soon as I read your post the lightbulb went off.

Thanks.

Ask the sound guy if you can hook an audio recorder into his mix.

He should be able to do that if he has an open channel on his soundboard (and most sound guys like showing off, so they're usually glad to help.) I'd recommend the Zoom H4N, you have a couple hookup options, and lots of pros use it for location shots.

I agree. Ask the guy at the mixer if you can plug in a Zoom H4N or a Tascam directly into the mixer and you can get the best quality audio possible. However; if you only use one XLR port it will be Mono and not stereo.

Then you can use PluralEyes or just try and match up the waveforms in whatever video editing program you have (assuming that you're using either Premiere Pro or Final Cut)

Most reactions

Back