Auto Focus Points?

Emelsak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,
My Nikon d3100 recently died, and I'm in the market for a new camera. I'm leaning towards the d3300 or d5200 (unless someone sways me in a different direction!) :) One question I have, though, is about the auto focus points. While the d3300 has 11 auto focus points, the d5200 has up to 39 af points. Is this a big deal? I'll be primarily photographing my small children, who are in constant motion, and I would obviously like the clearest pictures possible of them. Will auto focus points help me with this? Is it worth the additional cost to get more af points or will they really just slow me down? Thanks so much! :)

Yes, more AF points and a more capable AF module will help.
However, photographer knowledge and skill are still required to make effective use of more AF points and a more capable AF module

The D3100 uses Nikon's 11 AF point, Multi-CAM 1000 AF module. The center AF point is a cross-type focus point.
The D5200 uses Nikon's 39 AF point, Multi-CAM 4800DX AF module having 9 cross-type AF points.
Cross-type AF points can detect contrast in 2 dimensions making them more accurate than regular AF points.

Understanding Camera Autofocus

By the same token Nikon's D7100 and up camera's use best AF module, the 51 AF point, Advanced Multi-CAM 3500DX AF module having 15 cross-type AF points.
The D7XXX series and up have other features that make them better cameras than the D3XXX and D5XXX series - a second command wheel, a Control Panel (top LCD), more external controls (less menu diving), a dedicated off camera flash control system (CLS Commander mode), and more.

Nikon D3300 vs D5200 - Our Analysis

As KmH noted, the D5200's 39-point AF system is simply better, not only because there are more overall focus points but also because there are more cross-type points. The same system is also on the D7000, the predecessor to the current D7100. If you can afford it, I'd recommend you try and get a D7100 or D7000, but the D5200 is a very capable camera and would certainly serve you well.

Most reactions

Back