Auto Focus

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, well i have been messing around with different types of shots. I find it tuff to get my AF to do what i want. It seems to always focus on what i dont want. and anything moving seems tuff to use MF on. I would like to focus on eyes and important points of the photo. how do you do it? whats the best way to have AF work on moving subjects? I have tried the cervo setting but not with luck. Say i wanted to get a person walking to the camera, whats the best focusing tecnique for this? AM or MF.. Thank you in advance!

Leave it in AF but not where it picks the points. Go into the menu and find single point auto focus or dynamic auto focus and use that. There you can pick the exact point you want your camera to focus on for you. That will save you a lot of time from getting pissed when the camera picks the wrong points ha.

I'm sure it says how to do it in your manual so check in there first and you should be set. Hope that helped!
TJ

yup thanks. Its easy to set that option on the xs canon. would you say the servo or cervo constant focusing is a good way to go? Batt life isnt an issue with me right now.

If something is moving and you're going to be firing off a few shots at once then continuous would be your best bet. The camera will shoot even if it doesn't have perfect focus but when your shooting a few shots at once most will be in focus once it get the subject so you don't have to worry about that. Rather shoot a lot in C focus then only get one shot using S because the camera had to try to get focus on that moving object that isn't easy.

If you are shooting something that isn't moving or doing a portrait then S is your best bet. C will always be focusing and trying to keep on to the subject. I would use that for moving subjects especially things like sports.
TJ

constant servo is only applicable for AF tracking, i.e. using all AF points. For what you want sounds like you want either MF (manual focus) or one-shot AF (auto focus). Do not press down the shutter release half way and hold it there. Your focus will become stale. Press the shutter release all the way down to take the picture.

ok i was wondering about if you needed to press half way or fireing off a few at once will focus each shot. cool thanks for all of the great info everyone!

Get the canon eos rebel xsi video , by magic lantern, it can be had at most camera shops or on line.
best money u spent on how to operate your xsi

Whats really nice, u can always use it to refer to , just slap it into the laptop, and it will answer anything you forget , on operation and functions.

According to the video I mentioned above ! ! !

To answer your question , aL servo is best for moving , action, sports.

one shot for landscapes, portraits

al focus is a hybrid selection, kind of does alittle of both above

I understand the best setting for the majority of shooting is the al servo setting.

However if that doesnt get the results you are looking for , then experiment with the other settings, to yield the results you are after.

yup thanks. Its easy to set that option on the xs canon. would you say the servo or cervo constant focusing is a good way to go? Batt life isnt an issue with me right now.

Also try setting your camera for back button focus (star button at back of camera behind shutter button) works well for sports and moving objects

If something is moving and you're going to be firing off a few shots at once then continuous would be your best bet. The camera will shoot even if it doesn't have perfect focus but when your shooting a few shots at once most will be in focus once it get the subject so you don't have to worry about that. Rather shoot a lot in C focus then only get one shot using S because the camera had to try to get focus on that moving object that isn't easy.

Well, I read the above paragraph a few times and each time it confused me more. Sorry TJ K, nothing personal. I am sure you know your stuff. I would just wish that you put it in a more clear way...
I am surprised that the others understood it... Maybe I am getting old:)

Most reactions

Back