Autocross Pictures

umd81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Went to the local Autocross yesterday...it was my first time shooting motorsports. Please let me know what you think.

Also, what shutter speeds do you use to blur the background? I shot most of the pics at very fast speeds so a lot of them came out looking liked parked cars. I did try and do some panning and the slowest speeds i successfully used was 1/160 second. Should i use sloweer speeds?...i probably just need to work on panning.

#1 This one is my fav because i caught it on 3 wheels
IMG_2472.jpg

#2 My 2nd fav
IMG_2211.jpg

#3 My attempt at panning
IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

The rest of the better ones are up on my website at http://www.warpedthroe.com/Autocross2.html

I have yet to shoot motorsports but these look very good.#3 is a great pan shot. Maybe a slightly slowers shutter speed to increase blur.
#1 is a great action shot. I love the front wheel in the air.

i shoot about 1/60 to 1/80 for panning shots... but i have been doing most of my motorsport shooting at limerock park in CT, so the speeds are a bit faster then that of autocross. i like the 4th one a lot... tire smoke is cool :)

i would use a monopod also, tripod's are too rigid for quick panning i think. if you have it, use shutter priority mode and take a few practice pics before your target vehicles run to test the waters.

also if you have it, those image stabilization cameras/lenses do wonders :)

Methinks these are a bit too many pics for this specific Photo Critique section and all you really wanted were general comments with the odd bit of advice ... I shall move this to the General Gallery and you will get just that right there, too (as the guidelines to the Critique section say: one photo only with very specific questions). OK?

And hey, in case we haven't met on here before: welcome to ThePhotoForum :D.

Most reactions

Back