Autofocus issue with D5000

nos33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have a D5000 with an 18-55 SF VR that came with my camera. Here is the story, My wife uses my camera to shoot weddings and general family photography. She had an expensive wedding to shoot so she went to our local camera store that rents lenses and she rented a 28-75mm $2000 dollar lens. It worked great and fine. She returned the lens to the store and came home. I grabbed my camera and went out to shoot some HDR of a great location that I found. When I put my standard lens on, it started having issues auto-focusing. It just hung there doing nothing. The lens was set for AF and the cameras settings did not change at all. I can focus just fine manually but the auto-focus does not work. My battery is full, my SD card is empty. I put one of my other lenses on it it works just fine. I checked the mirrors and sensors and they are all free of dust.

I am at a loss on why this lens just stopped working out of the blue. My wife says that she left it in the case in the car under our seat so heat damage is not a problem either.

Can anyone give me any insight on what is going on? Do I need to buy a new lens or just have this one looked at. It is a fairly cheap lens. To repair it, it would cost me about 100 bucks but a brand new one would be around 120.

Thanks for looking at this and hopefully i can get this resolved by Christmas.

Based on your information there is no doubt the auto focus system in that one lens is malfunctioning.

If you bought the D5000 and 18-55 VR new from an authorized dealer, and subsequently registered the camera and lens with Nikon USA, then Nikon would have extended the 1 year warranty on the lens to 5 years, but the D5000 is still only covered for 1 year.

However, the warranty, lens and camera, only covers defects cause by issues regarding workmanship and/or materials. If Nikon determines a malfunction was caused by user mis-handeling they will charge for the repair, but won't do the repair without your authorization.

Nikkor Lenses
Nikkor lenses come with a standard one year warranty and Nikon Inc. lenses sold by authorized Nikon Inc. dealers will have a Nikon Inc. Five Year Extension*.

Nikon Digital Imaging Warranty

Last edited:
I agree with Kieth on this one simply for the reason that there's no auto focus motor in the D5000. It's all in the lens.
Having said that... Good Ol' Ken Rockwell does have a page on the AF settings in the D5000 if you want to double check things... Nikon D5000 Autofocus Settings

thanks for your suggestions. I do remember replacing the mounting ring on this lens because the wind blew my tripod over and luckily it was only the mounting bracket that broke. I replaced that myself and it has worked for over a year up until this point. I am sure if i sent it back to Nikon they would not repair it just because of that. I guess i am now in the market for a new lens. Thanks again for your help.

So I was playing around with this lens yesterday and noticed some weird activity with it. When i put it on and try to focus on something using AF, it does nothing, and then when i switched to manual it works fine, but when i went back to AF and forced the motor to turn with the gears engaged it started to very slowly auto focus. Once that was moving by itself it started to get better and better. But today when i went to use it again it was unresponsive and did not work until i twisted the motors with the AF engaged. I still need a new lens but just thought i would post some of this info in case someone else has experienced this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back