Automotive Pics Looking for some C&C

ram360

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to photography. I have a d40 for a 8 or 9 months but really haven't made much of an effort to perfect much skills. I'm sure this is apparent in my pics but anyways. I'm hoping for some suggestion on things I could do different. I'm pretty sure I had it set on auto (fear of screwing up the shot). I thought the background was decent being a light color and made the colors of the cars pop and it didn't seem like the background was too busy?

DSC_0054.jpg

2 (looks overexposed to me)
DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_00606.jpg

4. Tried some motion shots but didn't seem like they worked too well either

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Last edited:
I am no expert on this subject by any means, but I think I would of tried to photograph one car at a time... may be a bit easier for you. Would of been perfect if you had a newer fox body mustang in the pic with the 3 of them would have been a little timeline lol.

I think the first one is best but needs some serious cropping to get the best of it.

As caveman mentioned a crop of #1 would work well. As you can see here the background is indeed to busy and tends to draw the eye away from the cars. Your image actually had the cars underexposed because of all the bright sky in the far background so I had to adjust the exposure too. The transition from the blacktop to the concrete is also distracting. You had to much depth of field in so far the background is not blurred enough. You might try A mode (aperture priority). Here are some good tips for automotive photography.

DSC_0054A.jpg

Last edited:
#2 Your exposure was right on the money. I played with the contrast some and sharpened a little.

#3 is underexposed on the cars. Same issue with the bright sky. It confuses the camera unless you put the camera in manual mode and spot meter the subject and select the exposure parameters to control depth of field and motion blur, if any.

DSC_0051.jpg

Last edited:
sorry, but I don't see what these photos have to do with Photojournalism or sports.

great, thanks for the replys. I appreciate all the help. I will definitely take the suggestions into consideration next go round and hopefully do a little better. :thumbup:

sorry, but I don't see what these photos have to do with Photojournalism or sports.

RELAX....it isn't the end of the world. :thumbdown: If it's in the wrong spot I'm sure someone can move it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back