Automotive Pictures

BDM3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I'm new to photography and a big time car nut. I recently purchased a Nikon D3200 and have started to explore into the world of automotive photography. Here are some pictures I've taken so far, I recently downloaded photoshop and light studio but haven't edited any pictures with either program yet. I've basically retouched these with the basic iphoto program that came with my macbook. I figure I should learn my camera and the fundamentals before editing pictures. Any opinions or guidance is much appreciated! Thanks for looking.

null_zps99aa87ab.jpg

null_zps2545a494.jpg

DSC_0035_zps397f6c02.jpg

The hood was being redone on the Bugatti so I didn't get to do a full shoot like planned.
null_zpse0396c47.jpg

null_zpsb49030ea.jpg

null_zps516b0348.jpg

Mm the white lamborghini angle is sort of cool. The bugatti close up isn't centered so just looks sloppy. The rest are sort of snap shotty

obf flash is killing them.

Thanks for the input! I still need to learn all the settings so I've been shooting in auto mode. I just purchased a tripod so hopefully that will help me line up better. I'm thinking about getting a 55-300mm lens next, I only have the standard 18-55mm which I do enjoy though. I went to Alaska last month and it just didn't have the distance for a lot of the shots I wanted to take though.

Stop using the flash, and try to get more creative with your compositions. These are pretty much just snap shots.

Stop using the flash, and try to get more creative with your compositions. These are pretty much just snap shots.

Thanks for the input, that's pretty much all I can do right now. I started playing around with the ISO, aperture, and shutter speed settings tonight so hopefully next time I go out I can improve.

Think about composition. Think about getting down lower to the car's level. Maybe look along the side from a quartering shot at one of the headlights, for example. You don't have to always get the whole car in the photo for it to be good. Also, consider the background as well.

keep practicing; IMHO, it's really tough to take "good" automotive pictures. You need to be very creative in the DOF and composition, otherwise, they end up boring.

Thanks for the insight guys! I'm going to go do some practicing today.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back