Autumn colors (need some help with DOF)

ernie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cyberliquid.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot these in my backyard today. I've had quite some problems getting everything I wanted into focus. Shot at S-setting, mostly 1/60 to 1/125. Anyone have any advice on how to get better results?

autumn-colors_01.jpg

autumn-colors_04.jpg

autumn-colors_05.jpg

I think the DOF works well in #1 if you want everthing in focus shoot in A and put your aperature to around 10 and everything should be in focus.

I don't shoot Nikon, but (S) mode sounds like Shutter Priority. If you want to control the dof, then shoot in either aperture priority or manual. You need to set the aperture yourself. Shutter priority allows you to set the shutter speed, and the camera chooses an aperture. It looks like it chose wide open here. You'll have a lot more options for control over your photos if you learn a bit about exposure and start controlling the exposure manually.

You'll have a lot more options for control over your photos if you learn a bit about exposure and start controlling the exposure manually.
Yes I know but it was a cloudy day, and every aperture above 5.6 gave me long-ass shutter times and I was too lazy to get my tripod. Figured I didn't need one in full daylight.

You asked for tips on how to get more in focus. There is no substitute for a stopped down aperture. Bring a tripod, or increase your ISO.

The shallow DOF actually works to your advantage in these pictures. I like number 2 very much. Mostly because of the color processing, but then I wouldn't consider that the only reason it stands out. I mean it's an easy process, but you made it work.

Thanks, these are the only ones that turned out ok, it's the dozens of bad ones I asked the advice for :)

I think the DOF works well in #1 if you want everthing in focus shoot in A and put your aperature to around 10 and everything should be in focus.

I agree!

I too think it works well here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back