AV & TV are just stupid

I have My camera set on TV, but I still can't get Desperate Housewives? What gives?!

I just dont see it all that difficult. I have canon and it took me 2 seconds...and now it makes me feel special LOL

all you people with canons and Nikons...

My sony has A and S.... Aperture and Shutter. Simple, eh?

Don't you bring Nikon into this, we use A and S just like you!

Sabbath999,

What ever you do, for the sake of an entire nation, do not go to Great Britain and attempt to drive. They drive on the other side of the road there and the driver is located on the right side of the coach in the motor car. We can ill afford an international incident with one of our allies. :lol:

I think it is all from the term Exposure Value (EV).

From Wikipedia:

EV = TV + AV,
where TV (time value) and AV (aperture value) were defined as:
TV = − log2(t) AV = 2log2(N) No reason in changing old terminology I guess.

I think it is all from the term Exposure Value (EV).

From Wikipedia:

EV = TV + AV,
where TV (time value) and AV (aperture value) were defined as:
TV = − log2(t) AV = 2log2(N) No reason in changing old terminology I guess.

Thanks, I always wondered if this was the reason or of it was simply a case of Nikon being too cheap to paint two (2) letters on their mode selector knob.:lol:

And before all the Nikonians get their shutter curtains in a flutter, it was just a joke. I was a Nikonian for 30 years with film and still am when it comes to film. :hail: F, F2S, & F2AS plus motor drives, large capacity backs and a slew of outstanding glass.

You only have to remember one of them.

other two letters is the "other one" :)

As caspertodd already pointed out, the term TV (time value) goes beyond photography and into other applications. As such, I always thought calling it "shutter value" or "shutter setting" really stupid. The shutter (the device that allows light to pass for a period of time) has a Time Value associated with it not a "shutter value". Just like a thermostat is associated to a temperature NOT a "termostat value". We set a clock to a particular time not "clock value".

Why not just P&S? :D

It would be a marketing nightmare for Canon (or anyone else) to put the term Point and Shoot on their SLRs.

Remove the manufacturers paint or decal from the selection knob, print your own to a decal transfer sheet or expose a section of silk screen and put whatever you want on there.

Remove the manufacturers paint or decal from the selection knob, print your own to a decal transfer sheet or expose a section of silk screen and put whatever you want on there.

There was one dSLR that did have a POS setting. It was so indistinguishable from the other settings that they took it off and just called the camera the SD14 instead.

Most reactions

Back