available lenses for nikon d40

lv6l

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have a nikin d40 kit lens. i want to upgrade to a lenses that cover more range and farther range, i'm on a budget and was wondering is there any "non" nikon brand lenses that supports AF-S. in simple; is there any brand out there that will auto focus on the d40. thanks.

oh i see. thanks. i been looking for a range that is wide around 18mm and zoom our farther than 55mm. maybe 100mm and beyond. only one i saw that i think will work for the d40 is the 18-135mm af-s one.

another question, what lenses will auto focus work with the d80 then? i might save up and upgrade to the d80 but to save some time now which lenses should i be looking for that is compatible with the d80. thanks again.

The Nikon 18-200mm AF-S VR lens will work with the D40. I have the D40 and am thinking about getting the 70-300mm for it. I hope to eventually (once I get better and learn more about photography) get the D200:)

oh i see. thanks. i been looking for a range that is wide around 18mm and zoom our farther than 55mm. maybe 100mm and beyond. only one i saw that i think will work for the d40 is the 18-135mm af-s one.

another question, what lenses will auto focus work with the d80 then? i might save up and upgrade to the d80 but to save some time now which lenses should i be looking for that is compatible with the d80. thanks again.

Pretty much any AF lens will work with the D80. I has a built-in focus motor.

Pretty much any AF lens will work with the D80. I has a built-in focus motor.

Yeah thats what I thought, but I have a Quantaray NIKON AF 100-300mm zoom lenses and brought it to Best Buy and ask them if this lens will auto-focus on the Nikon D80 and the sale rep wasn't sure so she said she is going to go check and when she came back she said it will not work with the D80. Why is this? Is she wrong or is this lens not compatible.

I have no idea on a Quantaray AF lens wouldn't work with a D80... I bet the salesperson didn't know what she was talking about... I know I have slapped Tamron, Sigma and Nikon lenses of various ages and descriptions on my D80. What the D80 lacks in lenses is that it doesn't have an aperture feeler in the mount, which means that it won't work with manual focus lenses. Actually, they will work if you don't mind the fact that there is no metering and no auto exposure... which, frankly, is why I feel safe in saying they just won't work.

Most reactions

Back