Avery

kilifila66

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is a shot of Avery Chem building on the University of Nebraska Lincoln. I thought the shot came out ok but there is something still bothering me about it. Is it the right DOF? Is it exposed right? Does it give you good enough detail on the building? Does it portray its age etc? And yes I know that set of branches down in the front is there and I have just been too lazy to clone it out so far. All branches aside, give me your worst, I want to learn from this one as its my first Architecture try.

0926600-R1-E010.jpg

I dont like how you cant see the bottom of the building in this shot and also the angle of the building with the crop your using seems a bit to sharp.

Have you experimanted with any other crops... maybe a tighter one? It would help to get rid of some of the sky not making the bottom of the building seem so lost.

The photo also looks to be just a tad to flat towards the bright side.

I agree with the flat color, I think maybe you might add more contrast to it to make everything pop a bit more...as you said the bush in the bottom needs cloning and I'd also clone out that light post as well...

Most importantly, I suggest darkening the photo and adding more contrast. Also the objext on the right (field lights?) needs to be cropped out. Cut out some sky as well. Nice angle though.

1 The composition has not enough building frontage....Try backing up a little more or if it's not possible, maybe a more acute angle.
2 The tonal range is flat. Use a red filter for a little more punch in the sky and also try a red + polariser.

What type of film was used? do you like to use the computer for your enhancements or use the puter as little as possible?

I used a couple of rolls of crap Kodak C41 black and white that I bought a while ago so thats why the grain and stuff sucks. Also my red filter is about 40 years old and broke before I shot these pics so I need a new one of those. And in terms of computers, I understand them and love them, anything I can do on a computer makes my life easier. I have photoshop CS2 and I just have been too busy to mess with my pics so far, but I will go mess with the contrast. Do you know a good spot to get a red+polorizer or is that just one filter on top of another?

the filters are just one on top of the other. The only other thing I noticed about your picture is the light poll in the background. How is the scenery from the other way, any better?
The only reason I asked about the puter is because I like to know if I'm looking at the work of someone who is a computer photographer or a camera photographer. Whether digital or film, some like to make alterations at the camera and others like to do everything on the puter. It makes it easier when following up a critique with a suggestion.:wink:

Ok, NOW I understand Dave. In terms of fixing things, I prefer to do it in the camera because I'm more interested in getting it right on the film than fixing it later on. If I shoot it the other way there is a building in view, but I think I can get a little better angle on it.

ah yes...Architecture photography...how i love thee.

anyway, in my experience with shooting buildings and the like, i found several things, getting a building at a small angle was hard. its easier to compose and get an image taken directly infront of the building or at a very sharp angle to the building, Also i find it important to have some reference to the ground in the shot otherwise it can look like you were holding the camera at an angle even though you werent. i also think that photos like this either need ground or no first floor at all because often the first floor has ugly stuff like bars on windows or if you dont include the ground you get half cropped doors and stuff like that.

Most reactions

Back