Avoiding shadows in lighted studio??

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It seems no matter what position I place my lights, 8/10 times I get shadows. I can usually get them out by editing, but any suggestions on how to avoid this? I prefer outdoor photography in natural light, COLD here in KY, outdoor photography not much of an option.

If you post a sample pic, it will be easier for us to tell you how to avoid it. Even outdoor shoots, you have to deal with shadows and how to minimize it, either using shades, reflectors, or supplemental lighting.

If you post a sample pic, it will be easier for us to tell you how to avoid it. Even outdoor shoots, you have to deal with shadows and how to minimize it, either using shades, reflectors, or supplemental lighting.

OK, but I am about to post a photo that is UNEDITED, I repeat, UNEDITED...........

ONCE AGAIN, This photo is UNEDITED*********************
028-4.jpg

Subject is too close to the paper. Move her farther away, light the backdrop separately and evenly.

luvmyfamily said:

Can't help with the shadows but it looks like the subject is standing right in front of the background. You should put some distance between the background and subject so you can't see any of the wrinkles (or anything) on the backdrop.

How many light sources were in this picture and how are you diffusing them? Like others said, first obviously thing is the distance from the background.

It looks like she's right up against the background. If she tipped her head back her hair would be all over it.

I'd also suggest moving your lights up as well. Looks like they're even with her head.

luvmyfamily said:

Can't help with the shadows but it looks like the subject is standing right in front of the background. You should put some distance between the background and subject so you can't see any of the wrinkles (or anything) on the backdrop.

True, she was standing too close to the background...and i was too close. I will practice on my son later and see if placing him farther away and me farther away helps. Should I use my 18-55mm or 75-300mm lens if i am standing farther away?

It looks like she's right up against the background. If she tipped her head back her hair would be all over it.

I'd also suggest moving your lights up as well. Looks like they're even with her head.

Thanks, you all helped with my lighting woes......

Your subject is only inches away from the background. Move them 4' to 8' away if possible.

You also have two light sources (camera left and camera right) and both of them are set too low vertically. Notice how the shadows are creeping up the background. This type of lighting arrangement will typically produce a "flat" lighting pattern because each light source is canceling out the other to create any modeling effect / lighting ratio (there are effectively now shadows on your subject's face to help creat a three dimensional image).

Don't be afraid to turn your camera 90° either. A vertical subject usually fills the frame better if shot vertically.

luvmyfamily said:
True, she was standing too close to the background...and i was too close. I will practice on my son later and see if placing him farther away and me farther away helps. Should I use my 18-55mm or 75-300mm lens if i am standing farther away?

Are you using continuous lighting? If so, then when positioning yours lights/subjects make sure you get some light in their eyes. It's easy to see with continuous lights! In the above picture her eyes look pretty dark. Eyes are important so light em up! ;)

Lens choice would depend on how much room you have and what you are looking to achieve.

luvmyfamily said:

Are you using continuous lighting? If so, then when positioning yours lights/subjects make sure you get some light in their eyes. It's easy to see with continuous lights! In the above picture her eyes look pretty dark. Eyes are important so light em up! ;)

Lens choice would depend on how much room you have and what you are looking to achieve.

Yes, it is continuous lighting, 2 umbrella lights. Here is one I got most of the shadows out after editing, just some around her hair.

karen21.jpg

Yes, it is continuous lighting, 2 umbrella lights. Here is one I got most of the shadows out after editing, just some around her hair.
Except for those below her lower lip, nose, left eye, the chin......

Shadows are our friends.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back