Photos NOT OK to edit
Taken in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Enjoy!

$Day 59 - 3.26.2012.jpg

Canon 60D
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
1/400 sec
f/11

Last edited:
Crisp stuff. Love the frozen water coming up!

Brilliant color, and well exposed. Your horizon is tilted, which is an easy fix. Rather then use the 1/3 rule, you have the horizon smack right dab going through the middle of the picture. It would have been so much stronger of a composition if you used a lower perspective, and had the water/beach 2/3 of the scene.

i wish the ocean looked like that in vancouver.... i like that you included the little puffy clouds at the top!

Thank you all!!!

@Joel_W: I agree with you entirely and try to compose all of my photos that way. However I took many photos of this scene (as you could probably guess). See below for one I took with the ocean/beach 1/3 and sky 2/3 or the photo. I really didn't want to cut off much of the sky beach I feel it added so much to the photo.
$IMG_4871.jpg
I liked the look of looking down on the water better. It was a really steep shoreline, so I thought it looked better from higher up! Thanks for the critique and let me know what you think of this other photo and it's composition compared to the first photo!

Great beach but your angle makes this look like a snap shot of you standing there staring out. I would have like to see you get a little lower to the ground and angle the camera up some. You would have got more sky in the shot and could have taken better advantage of the rocks on the shoreline. Having a few rocks in focus and the bottom of the frame would have made the shot more appealing. But you definitely have me consider Cabo as a vacation destination. Looks nice. Thats some really clean beach.

Great beach but your angle makes this look like a snap shot of you standing there staring out. I would have like to see you get a little lower to the ground and angle the camera up some. You would have got more sky in the shot and could have taken better advantage of the rocks on the shoreline. Having a few rocks in focus and the bottom of the frame would have made the shot more appealing. But you definitely have me consider Cabo as a vacation destination. Looks nice. Thats some really clean beach.
I see where you are coming from, but my intention was the shot staring out. I turned and was amazed at the sight, clarity of the water, and cleanliness of the beach, plus the clouds weren't bad either! The second photo I posted was taken about 1.5ft. above the sand, overall I was more impressed with the first photo I posted on here. And that big rock on the left looks like a prime rib end-cut sticking out of the sand!

If you want to see this exact beach stay at the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar! A bit far from downtown Cabo ($20 cab ride each way, up to 4 people) and the ocean isn't sport friendly (except for skim boarding). Hope you get to visit!

In your 2nd shot, you increased the sky by a 1/3, but you lost that strong foreground. As DyskoJoe said, by composing at a lower height and angling your focus up, you would achieve both aspects you're looking for.

Some good tips for next time (years from now I'm sure). Thank you!

Brilliant color, and well exposed. Your horizon is tilted, which is an easy fix. Rather then use the 1/3 rule, you have the horizon smack right dab going through the middle of the picture. It would have been so much stronger of a composition if you used a lower perspective, and had the water/beach 2/3 of the scene.

That's exactly what I thought!

Most reactions

Back