Awesome Hiking Camera Bag!

cbarnard7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey Guys,

A little while back I was on here looking for advice for a lightweight hiking pack that could hold my camera/hiking gear. Well, I've finally picked up an awesome one today!

I know a lot of you are like me and pack only a few things (body, 2 lenses, extra batteries, cards, cleaning equip..etc) on hikes so I figured I'd let you all know about this cool find.

It's called the Photo Sport 200 AW from Lowepro and it was fairly cheap (~$150).

Pros:

Lightweight
Holds 2L water reservoir
Has an AW (all-weather) covering that is attached to the bag on the bottom so you don't lose it
Has very comfortable waist and chest straps for extra support
Has a contoured back plate for easy breathing
Holds plenty of personal items
Has a million zippers and straps for miscellaneous items
Camera goes in side pocket (no need to fully take off)

Cons:

Camera cube doesn't come out
Camera cube is kind of small (couldn't fit a grip)
Doesn't come with 2L water pack (I already had one)
No true tripod attachment point (but you can make one yourself using straps)

Overall, this thing is awesome. It's sleek, it's waterproof and super comfortable.

I can easily fit:

Nikon D5100 with 18-55VR
55-200VR
Extra batteries/cleaning kit/cards
Rain Jacket
Maps/Compass/Whistle/Knife/Medical Kit/Headlamp
Extra socks
Snacks
Water (in reservoir)

And the best part is that when the unpredictable weather hits (like the hailstorm I was in 2 weeks ago 3 miles from any cover) I can just throw on my rain jacket, put my gear away and cover it with the AW cover.

I know I sound like a spokesperson for Lowepro, but this is the best bag for me. They now even have it in a larger 30L size for more stuff (like pro cameras with grips...etc)

I'm stoked!

$bag.jpg$opencompartment.jpg$pockets.jpg$waterpouch.jpg$AWcover.jpg$othersideAW.jpg

Thanks for the follow up.

I actually found another backpack with a removable camera cube. You can remove th cube, convert the cube space into more backpack space an mount the cube in the front using the shoulder straps.

Adventure K5 | Naneu Bags

I actually found another backpack with a removable camera cube. You can remove th cube, convert the cube space into more backpack space an mount the cube in the front using the shoulder straps.

Awesome bag as well! It's a little out of my price range at the moment (wife and I are having a baby in a few months) so to cut some costs, I had to cut a few corners, but the Naneu is awesome. Have you purchased it? I'm going to rig something for the tripod as well for mine. Cheers!

I have been meaning to get the photo sport 30L for a while now. Waiting on some freed up cash after I get some new glass.

Awesome bag as well! It's a little out of my price range at the moment (wife and I are having a baby in a few months) so to cut some costs, I had to cut a few corners, but the Naneu is awesome. Have you purchased it? I'm going to rig something for the tripod as well for mine. Cheers!

I haven't bought anything other than your typical carry all camera backpack from Think Tank. I use that more for traveling than outdoors though. Anyhow, I'm still waiting to see what we're going to need for the Boy Scouts this year. I'll more than likely go with the Naneu Bag if we have to pack a tent/sleeping bag etc or the Lowepro Bag for small day hikes.

I haven't bought anything other than your typical carry all camera backpack from Think Tank. I use that more for traveling than outdoors though. Anyhow, I'm still waiting to see what we're going to need for the Boy Scouts this year. I'll more than likely go with the Naneu Bag if we have to pack a tent/sleeping bag etc or the Lowepro Bag for small day hikes.

Off topic,

I'm so glad to see Boy Scouts of America going strong. I'm an Eagle Scout myself and some of my best years as a kid was camping/hiking with my troop. I learned so many invaluable lessons about respect and teamwork that seems to be fading with these younger generations. I'm hoping to do the same with my kids (given one is a boy, that is!). I agree with your comment above! Cheers!
Awesome bag as well! It's a little out of my price range at the moment (wife and I are having a baby in a few months) so to cut some costs, I had to cut a few corners, but the Naneu is awesome. Have you purchased it? I'm going to rig something for the tripod as well for mine. Cheers

Off topic,

I'm so glad to see Boy Scouts of America going strong. I'm an Eagle Scout myself and some of my best years as a kid was camping/hiking with my troop. I learned so many invaluable lessons about respect and teamwork that seems to be fading with these younger generations. I'm hoping to do the same with my kids (given one is a boy, that is!). I agree with your comment above! Cheers!
Awesome bag as well! It's a little out of my price range at the moment (wife and I are having a baby in a few months) so to cut some costs, I had to cut a few corners, but the Naneu is awesome. Have you purchased it? I'm going to rig something for the tripod as well for mine. Cheers

Congrats on Eagle!!

My dream is for our son to obtain Eagle. I wasn't able to do the Scouts when I was younger but I'm a country boy. Our son on the other hand is a city boy and was afraid of all the general creepy crawlers. I tried explaining a few things to him but it's difficult when it's your own child. That's when I saw the Cub Scouts doing a membership drive at the open school house for parents. Oh man, I was all over that like white on rice lol Anyhow, he's enjoyed every Troop/Den and camp out! Our goal this year is to obtain First Class.

Thanks for the review. Looks like a great bag. Wayyy too small for my needs, but I like hearing other's experiences with their camera backpacks. I have been through a few now and still haven't found the right one. Currently I use a Tamrac expedition and it is ok, but has its flaws, the biggest of which is comfort. Look at the Ikan next, it gets good ratings for a big bag and is fairly inexpensive.

Thanks for the review. Looks like a great bag. Wayyy too small for my needs, but I like hearing other's experiences with their camera backpacks. I have been through a few now and still haven't found the right one. Currently I use a Tamrac expedition and it is ok, but has its flaws, the biggest of which is comfort. Look at the Ikan next, it gets good ratings for a big bag and is fairly inexpensive.

No Problem! I definitely agree that for a professional, or someone who carries many more things (speedlights, battery grips, more glass..etc) it is way too small. I'm no where near a professional and only carry the basics, so for me, it works perfect as it's small enough for me to hike with lots of elevation, but when it starts raining or something I can put my camera away, take out the jacket and head for shelter. I will definitely check out the Ikan! Cheers!

Off topic,

Congrats on Eagle!!

My dream is for our son to obtain Eagle. I wasn't able to do the Scouts when I was younger but I'm a country boy. Our son on the other hand is a city boy and was afraid of all the general creepy crawlers. I tried explaining a few things to him but it's difficult when it's your own child. That's when I saw the Cub Scouts doing a membership drive at the open school house for parents. Oh man, I was all over that like white on rice lol Anyhow, he's enjoyed every Troop/Den and camp out! Our goal this year is to obtain First Class.

That's awesome! Almost half-way there!

What people who aren't involved in scouting don't realize is that it's not just about camping/hiking...etc. Doing a Scoutmaster's Conference or Board of Review teaches boys to learn how to speak in front of elders properly, and with respect- and with that is showing members of higher rank respect. Also, going to high-adventure trips or to jamborees teach the boys how to work as a team. (I remember doing my pioneering merit badge and building a 20ft bridge over a river with my troop out of dead logs and fastening them together using the methods we learned when we made rank [no other kid is going to have that skill]) It's an incredible experience that I, nor your son, will ever forget. And, those skills that he is learning will carry on to other aspects of his life (all the way through college and into becoming an adult). I know we're way off the topic, but it is really refreshing to see you doing that with your son! Good luck this year and continue taking as many pictures as you can so he can look back later!

We had our first Troop meeting tonight and they don't allow anyone under 13 years old to go backpacking. So I'm going to go with a Lowepro AW 200 since I want need a lot of room.

Right on! If you can get your hand on one in a store and try it out that'd be much better to see if it fits your needs. I did that and compared other bags and found that one to be the best, but there are some bigger bags with more room (just no reservoir) that hold 2 water bottles on the side as well. Either way, good luck!

Right on! If you can get your hand on one in a store and try it out that'd be much better to see if it fits your needs. I did that and compared other bags and found that one to be the best, but there are some bigger bags with more room (just no reservoir) that hold 2 water bottles on the side as well. Either way, good luck!

Our first camping trip is this weekend, So I'll probably use our Mountain bike Camelbaks until I get some time to go bag shopping next week.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back