B&W Conversion

MLCIII

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for some help, tips, techniques for how you go about converting your photos to B&W. Below is a photo I've been messing with using Aperture and Color Efex Pro. So what do you look for when converting in post? What programs do you use? I've looked into Silver Efex, seems like a lot of money for a B&W tool.

Color (touched up in Aperture):

Aperture conversion:

Color Efex Pro:

..... So what do you look for when converting in post? ...........

I look for what gives me the effect I envisioned when I took the image out in the field.

Anyone who's used a dedicated B&W suite: do they offer anything beyond the simple mono adjustments you can apply in Aperture or Lightroom?

@TWright, I definitely plan to keep the color image, thanks :)

Anyone who's used a dedicated B&W suite: do they offer anything beyond the simple mono adjustments you can apply in Aperture or Lightroom?

@TWright, I definitely plan to keep the color image, thanks :)

I use Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro. It has a 15 day free trial, so download it and try it out.

This shot is not a prime candidate for monochrome, IMO.

And this is the beauty of photography, there really isn't any right or wrong but all a matter of personal taste :)

And this is the beauty of photography, there really isn't any right or wrong but all a matter of personal taste :)

Heh, you're a good guy. You know that?

I'm looking for people to share their tips and techniques. Not necessarily applied to this specific photo. It was just the one I was playing with. If you do it any differently, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Most reactions

Back