B&W conversions....critique needed.

John_05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i took a couple pictures of my wife this summer (hoefully she dont kill me for posting them here), and after seeing them again, i thought they would look good in B&W. after seeing the first all B&W one, i thought i would see how it looked if i did a selective coloring on the water. i didnt spend too much time on the water as i just wanted to get a rough idea of how it would look.
i was wondering what everyone thought about the conversion i did, and if the selective colored water looks good, or not. the color of the water looks like that in the original and i figured it would add a subtle change to the pic, but i didnt do anything to it to change how the color looks.
overall, the original color pic didnt look very good IMO. the leaves and the concrete under the bridge look a bit fuzzy and soft, and there were a few other issues i had with the color in the rest of the pic, so i figured they would look a little better in B&W. let me know what you think, and any tips to make them look better would be appreciated. thanks!

#1 selective colored water.
b545711b.jpg

#2 straight B&W conversion.
396c1da8.jpg

thanks again for any comments/critique anyone can offer.

They look very good. I like the straight bw better. The colored water distracts from your wife. I would try to boost the contrast (just a little) using levels or curves (if you use PS). I like the image, it's peaceful and well composed.

I am going to have to agree with crawdaddio, the selective colouring doesn't add to the image, and for that reason I prefer the all black and white. (Also agree on the levels)

I also prefer the all-b&w.
I love this glow/softness...

but looking at the water in the first one, i think a little touch of extra-light, not too saturated, not too intense sepia would make it look nice too :D

if you add any further contrast to your b&w image, you will increase the hot spots that already exist...especially in the water and across her back. i would try toning those areas down in the color version before converting.

JonMikal said:
if you add any further contrast to your b&w image, you will increase the hot spots that already exist...especially in the water and across her back. i would try toning those areas down in the color version before converting.

i wasnt sure what you meant by hot spots (still a newbie :lmao: ), but i took a guess, and a shot at a re-edit.

i also did a quick selective color, leaving her in color this time. i accidentally saved over the original i saved to the computer, so i had to work with the smaller versions until i get my external hard drive back.

B&W only.
64899a44.jpg

selective colored.
bd4f552a.jpg

like i said, i had to work with the smaller versions until i get another copy of the original, so these are just "rough drafts". onve i get them looking good, i will re-edit the original.

thanks to everyone for their comments and advice so far!

also, if anyone would like to try to fix any of these up, thats ok. the only thing i ask is that you let me know what edits you did so i can try myself. thanks. :thumbup:

sorry for the "bump", but id like to see what everyone thinks of the new conversions before i hunt down the original and start on that one. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back