b&w film pushed to iso 1600 :O

Dew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok, so im having a love/hate relationship with film pushed to iso 1600 :lol: ... one side of me says, "it looks cool, super contrast." ... the other side of me says, "dont ya think that's a bit too much contrast and a little more grain than necessary." :lol: ... but i cant stop ... i will continue to experiment further ...

i used Ilford HP5 Plus 400 ... but pushed it to 1600

ok, this one is digital :lol: ... but just this one .. they're all from the same shoot (Olympus E20 digital)

001.jpg

***** starting b&w ******

002.jpg

003.jpg

coming soon ... iso 3200 .. i dont know if i'll be able to stomach that push .. oh, and im aware in the first b&w her dress is wet :p (it was no accident) ... thats my hallway again (arent u guys sick of looking at my hallway?) :p

Afraid the concept of pushing is still over my head so I can't speak to that, but just wanted to let you know that I love that 2nd shot. Your hallway seems like a wonderful backdrop for shots - rather dramatic and has lots of character - nothing like that here. (and yes, I'm jealous) :D

this is my second 1600 push, im still getting used to it, i dont think i recommend it for outdoors in daylight though :? ... im not crazy about the outdoor shots i did with 1600 ... looks a bit harsh ... now i know better :eek:

it may take me a minute to get used to it :D .. even though i've always loved contrast

my hallway/building is over 100 yrs old :lol: ... u see all that dust on the floor :roll:

nah, she's not gonna kill herself, although i told her to look like it :lol: ... i coached her into what i was looking for (she's an artist, their always easy to deal with) ... i said, "here's the scenario ... its early am, you've been out partying all night in this cocktail dress, someone spilled booze on you ... u saw your bf with another woman and you're hung over ... :lol: .. there is no end in sight."

the first color photo, i wanted it to look un-naturally posed, stiff

... this was a pet project, i hired the model to pose for me and teamed up with a make-up artist :D

Dew said:
this is my second 1600 push, im still getting used to it, i dont think i recommend it for outdoors in daylight though :? ... im not crazy about the outdoor shots i did with 1600 ... looks a bit harsh ... now i know better
Well the purpose of pushing is to have more speed when shooting in limited light. So if you've got plenty of light, go with a slower film.

The photos are awesome Dew. Especially the last one. I love the mood and contrast of that shot. The skin in #2 looks a bit to white. Are these scans from prints? or scans of the negative?

scans from negs ..

in all of them .. she's a little bright :oops: ... she had really bright pale skin ... the second one is also the furthest from the light .... then again, i could have over-exposed it by a 1/3 .. dont remember

love the two black and whites........they have that grunge look........could have been used on a nirvava cd cover.

hey ya dew!

i like 'em all. Brilliant colours on that first one, it looks like a magazine, i don't mind the pose at all, i love the symmetry and choice of colours!

i love number 2, thats my favourite here! Did she get mad at you for spilling a drink on her dress? I love and her expression and love the contrasty work, white complexion and all!

All the elements are there for the last one, but for some reason it just doesn't do it for me :scratch: I am thinking something is missing or maybe she looks to posed? For some reason it doesn't look as constrasty and grainy and so it doesn't have the same 'bite' as number 2. But maybe that is what you were after?

as i mentioned in another post (a while ago) ... i dont like to give the subject too much control, i dont have that much confidence that they will do the right thing in front of the camera :p ... im creative director/photographer :p ...

especially when its a personal project, i want to have it look a certain way ... i like all my photos to have some normalcy ... with yet a "twisted" look (hence, TwistedLense :lol: ) ... so in this case, the water on the dress is the "wild card" .. it looks out of place and makes the viewer wonder what happened :lol:

im working really hard to build my portfolio over the next few months or so ... im trying to get some magazine editorial portrait work :lol: ... i've seen a few photographer's work that do this sort of thing ... their pretty good ... but im on their tail :lol: ... with a little more hard work and effort (and critique from u guys :p ) ... it just may pay off some day :D

got another shoot this weekend (personal project) .. not sure what im going to do with her yet ... got any ideas? :lol:

got another shoot this weekend (personal project) .. not sure what im going to do with her yet ... got any ideas?

--- do you want the R rated version or family friendly version? :D

i love that splash of water on the dress, its very subtle - it was only a secondary to the subject but you are right - it does add alot to the storyline that the users can read into. I love that type of stuff :)

Good luck with your pursuits! I love your work and I am sure it will take ya far! :D

got an idea .. but i cant tell you yet .. it'll take away from it :lol: .. but its gonna be over the top (or at least that's how i vision it) .. a little offbeat and "twisted" :lol: ... hopefully i dont screw it up :shock:

... maybe i'll try some cross processing this time ... i bought some color slide film over the weekend and im dying to get my hands on it :D ... can color slide film be pushed? ... if so, what's the maximum?

Dew said:
color slide film be pushed? ... if so, what's the maximum?

Yes, in fact there are two Fuji E6 films that I know of that are designed to be pushed: Provia 1600p and another that can be shot from 100 to 1000 (I can't remember the initials).

Check with your lab first. Some labs are limited in how far they can alter processing times because of the equipment they use.

i got some Fuji Velvia 100F :eek: .. how far can i push it? :D

Most reactions

Back