B&W, getting there?

Picksure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
O.K. Posted the cat shot and got great feed back. This pic is converted to B&W. Either way, b&w pic or conversion is a struggle to learn(for me).
Am I getting it?

70173406.jpg

Picksure needs your input. :)

That's pretty good! You must be getting it. :) One thing, snow is very difficult to get right, so if you really want to practice b&w, maybe try some interiors or non-snow-scenes and I bet you'll be able to get a handle on it all easier.

ksmattfish said:
The tonal range looks pretty good on my monitor.

i agree. i would say you are definately getting this down pat!

I think you're doing an excellent job! What method are you using to convert?

sharp, crisp, wonderful tones.... works for me!

Thanks for the input, I've said it before, every little bit helps. Next is to get a keeper in b&w, off the camera. :wink:

AlisonS said:
I think you're doing an excellent job! What method are you using to convert?

Alison, I was just using grey scale (PSP 7), but the conversion was bla. On this pic I upped the contrast, big time, to the point of too much, then the grey scale. Been playin around for a while to find a good conversion method, this seemed to work. Most converted to b&w, IMO do not need to be sharpened.
A small view of the original

th_0303f060.jpg

Thanks for lookin

Thanks for putting up the little original photo, now I know how to appreciate your very crisp, very well contrasted b+w version even better. I am quite fond of the harsh contrasts in this one, as fond as I am of the motif as such, and I find the spirals come out even better (as opposed to the vertical lines of the trees in the background, the props and the banisters [do I make use of the correct English words here?]) in the b+w version.
This one works very well for me and I am sure you are on the right path towards b+w (wish I were....).

Hi Picksure, the picture looks good.

If you're experimenting with converting to B&W (I am to) there are some really good tutorials on http://www.luminous-landscape.com/ for converting to B&W while retaining the flexibility of your original image.

The way I'm using is to use the channel mixer set to greyscale as an adjustment layer http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/b-w_better.shtml this lets you "retrofit" coloured filters to your photo.

Hope this helps

LaFoto, I would never have had interest in b&w without this place.
andy, the links are bookmarked, I will be sure to use them.
Thank-you, both.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back