B&W Help

JacaRanda

Hobbyist Birdographer
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please feel free to try your hand at processing this. I think it's worthy of a B&W conversion, but I'm just not feeling it.

DPH-0164 by jsteve5506, on Flickr

Version 2 attempt. Lifted shadows, lightened the blue (all water in background) brushed in some contrast to hair, and increased vignette.
Untitled by jsteve5506, on Flickr

Last edited:
How about the HDR look?
hdr1.jpg

Cool, Jack, you found a statue of a surfer!

The light isn't your friend here - very contrasty with deep shadows - and the background looks kind of muddy because there are no highlights Try to lighten the background a bit. If that's water at the top, there probably is more blue there than elsewhere in the frame, so try raising the cyan slider to lighten it and maybe the yellow for the sand. You could also selectively increase contrast a little with a curves adjustment, perhaps in his hair.

Do you have the original?

The light isn't your friend here - very contrasty with deep shadows - and the background looks kind of muddy because there are no highlights Try to lighten the background a bit. If that's water at the top, there probably is more blue there than elsewhere in the frame, so try raising the cyan slider to lighten it and maybe the yellow for the sand. You could also selectively increase contrast a little with a curves adjustment, perhaps in his hair.

Ah, then I could very well be way off thinking it's a good candidate for B&W. Better to think of making a B&W when shooting instead of everything in color and hoping to get lucky.

22651048933_2043a20c1e_b.jpg

I prefer the first one. Just giving you ideas.

Ah, then I could very well be way off thinking it's a good candidate for B&W. Better to think of making a B&W when shooting instead of everything in color and hoping to get lucky.
There might be something to that line of thinking. In my experience, some subjects make good B&W candidates and others just don't.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back