B/W horses

bradster76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are a few horses I took when I was out in the boonies, yah I was lost so I took advantage. I was looking for some abandoned warehouse, but found horses instead :lol:

1. I was going to crop the dark horse out, but I do like the way it is...dunno but it looks cool to me.
FH000008.jpg

FH000009.jpg

FH000010.jpg

FH000014.jpg

FH000011.jpg

28 views, no comments, C/C? Geez...I guess they suck. :confused:

no - just we are lazy posters ;)
I must say this is not an area of photography that I have any experience with so I am not sure how well I can comment except to say that I like the effect this has on the horses - they show up well. But I can't help but feel that something in the background is missing - it just seems a bit empty of content for me

I love the contrasts in these shots, black and white REALLY works well here.

A few problems with the composition though.

You commented on the first shot already, and indeed I'd much prefer the white horse alone. In this case though a crop-out wouldn't work so well, that would leave the subject pushed right against the frame which rarely works well. It does have an oddly nice effect, almost as though the horse is mirrored in inverse colours, but I can't help but feel this was too accidental.

In the second shot the head on the right either needs to be further in-frame, or left out entirely. Personally, I'd crop it out.

Your 3rd and 4th shots look fine as they are, but I'd like to see future head shots leave the complete head in frame, unless you have a really close shot of the eye, for example. Here you've chopped the ears and lower mouth out. If the chop wasn't even at both sides, it would look somewhat careless.

Unfortunately your last shot however, takes on the careless look with similar chops. Both horses in the lower of the image are missing noses, and on the right you somebody hand =).

Composition comes with experience. Just keep practicing and I'm sure your next set will look fantastic. Whatever settings you used to get those contrasts, please keep!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back