DjBeau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bobrinch.dk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everybody

If I want to take a B&W photo (digital SLR) is there ANY difference between shifting the camera mode to B&W and simply desaturating the picture in Photoshop?

And if there is what are the differences then?

Between in camera and desaturating, there wont be a lot of difference, however the camera might use other levels for the colour channels than 33, 33, 33.

However, neither of the two is a very good way to convert to B&W, really. Because if you let the camera do it, it just throws away any colour information, and that is a shame. Because, strange as it sounds, colour is important when converting to B&W!

Personally, I shoot in colour (jpeg or RAW) and then convert them to B&W in Photoshop using the 'Channel mixer' (tick the 'monochrome' box). That way, you have a LOT more control over the outcome of the conversion. Maybe give this technique a try, and see if you like the result it gives you.

Good luck,
Niels

Between in camera and desaturating, there wont be a lot of difference, however the camera might use other levels for the colour channels than 33, 33, 33.

However, neither of the two is a very good way to convert to B&W, really. Because if you let the camera do it, it just throws away any colour information, and that is a shame. Because, strange as it sounds, colour is important when converting to B&W!

Personally, I shoot in colour (jpeg or RAW) and then convert them to B&W in Photoshop using the 'Channel mixer' (tick the 'monochrome' box). That way, you have a LOT more control over the outcome of the conversion. Maybe give this technique a try, and see if you like the result it gives you.

Good luck,
Niels

It's the best way for greater control.
My camera doesn't have a clue as to what I want.

Shoot in RAW. whether you shoot in B+W or colour on your camera, there's always the option to turn it back to colour. It never throws out the colour info. But to be honest, I find it better to just shoot all in colour in RAW and either grayscale it later, or check lightroom's preset "black and white".

so to answer your question...shoot in colour.

The only reason I would ever shoot in B/W is if it was film and I was the one who was going to be doing the development... Just my opinion.

I agree with the shooting in RAW and also the use of channel mixer to get the results you want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back