B&W Portrait attempt

AugustMyhrman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had a go at B&W portraits, first time. What do you think?

Canon 600D w/ 18-55 IS and UV filter
Edited in LR5

Attachments

• $Erik Emo.jpg
    $Erik Emo.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 100
  • $Bäst som vanligt.jpg
    $Bäst som vanligt.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 88
  • $Chrille Sur.jpg
    $Chrille Sur.jpg
    744.6 KB · Views: 81
I'm not a portrait guy so I can only say from a technical point these seems all dark and muddy to me. Here's one example of the best of the lot.

$Bäst%20som%20vanligta.jpg

Last edited:
The window pose and the shotr of the gfirl seated in the chair both seem overly dark and somber. Processing them to be lighter would help, I think.

The window pose and the shotr of the gfirl seated in the chair both seem overly dark and somber. Processing them to be lighter would help, I think.

Hey Derrell...It's not safe to drink and type :lmao:

Yeah..I'm sick...I'm on heavy Nyquil, no glasses,no coffee, feeling awful. I slept about 5 hrs last night in 10,15 minute "stretches"...

Yeah..I'm sick...I'm on heavy Nyquil, no glasses,no coffee, feeling awful. I slept about 5 hrs last night in 10,15 minute "stretches"...

Ouch, been down that road. Feel better buddy

Ive not been well all week had to take some real ale for it last night and have to have another dose tonight

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

The nice thing about ale is, if it's doesn't cure you, you don't care :lol:

These don't qualify as portraits, mainly because there's no use of light or posing technique designed to flatter the body or get expression, and exposures are too dark. If you want to use window light, there are some great resources on how to do it at KelbyTraining and in Monte Zucker's guide to portraiture, which covers the basics of lighting and posing. One of the tricks is NOT including the window in the shot. This is a common beginner mistake. Exposure is tricky if you're using matrix metering. You'll probably have to dial in -1 or so. You can see some examples of how I use window light here on the two groom images and the bride profile image.

#1 As already mentioned, the window and the view of the garden is distracting.
#2 The mug obscures too much of the man's face, and probably should have been directed to a lower position so as to hide part or most of his white tee shirt.
#3 As already mentioned, frame in portrait and more centered, as well as more light on the girl's face. (nit-pick) Also her tee shirt has a graphic image that is distracting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back