B+W Portrait (feedback plz)

I just don't like the style. The lighting looks too harsh to me. Sorry, but it's just not the type of style I like.

The lighting is nice. I like dramatic lighting. It appears as though you have used a wide angle lens however, which is distorting her facial features. You'll be much better off with a short telephoto lens and standing back.

Thanx for your reply peacemaker636.

Digital Matt, thank you very much for your compliment and constructive advice. I'm such a newbie :) The light is pure sunlight. I was experimenting with the camera's shutter speed to achieve what you call the "dramatic" effect; though I hadn't thought of it like that at the time. Concerning your advice, however, I can't change the lens as you suggest becuase I am learning with a low-budget fixed lens (3x zoom) sony p+s. So, if i'm to heed your advice in the future, I'm guessing that I could take a few steps away from the subject and use the zoom to get in closer and frame the shot! Again, thanx for your sharing your experience with me. I've seen some of your work and you are very accomplished!
:hail:

Any other comments are still welcome.

(3x zoom) This means you have a zoom lens, capable of variable focal lengths. Next time zoom all the way out (don't use digital zoom) as you said, and use the "telephoto" end of your zoom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back