Not open for further replies.

Majik Imaje

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
majikimaje.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
WHAT COLOR.. are / is the darkroom(s) you have ever visited or used?

why do people "follow" others when it is WRONG?!

A darkroom, if it is truely dark,, would still be DARK.. even with white walls, white celing, etc.

so what is the purpose of painting a darkroom BLACK ? it is WRONG!

ONCE YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE. only then will you UNDERSTAND.. why

WHITE.. has to be the color to paint those walls!

I have worked in darkrooms 7 am till midnight for years many years. and there was no fatigue.. you can't do that in a BLACK ENVIORMENT.

your eyes get too tired, you can't see as well. and the "pools" of light from the safelight are more of a hinderance than helpful. with white walls that safelight reflects, just as Kodak intended.!

You just can't go wrong.. taking Kodak's advice!

I asked a "college photograhy professor" who managed a series of darkrooms the same question.. he would not answer me lol.. I WONDER WHY ? ha ha ha.. I am no body.. nothing.. BUT I DO KNOW WHAT KODAK SAYS!I read those words.. in 1972 a darkroom must be painted white!go figure.. like i said.. how come so many people follow the WRONG doctrine?that to me.. just doesn't make SENSE! I GOT 2 CENTS. to ask why ?I have been a "Journeyman wireman for over 4 decades, and the #1 thingany trade teaches you.. .. " is how....to think!"I am very curious why a Professor of Photography would allow students to spend time gettng fatiqued in a darkroom that wasn't fit to work in for 20 years and is still totally clueless about what color to paint the shell of the LABRATORY..."that just dosent' make any sense to me either"but everywhere I have ever gone.. black it is & black is wrong!I have had two black darkrooms. and 14 white darkrooms. !There is just no comparison...sorta like the difference between a "rookie' and a pro!

I remember (dimly, I was only little at the time) my uncle's darkroom to be tiled in the kind of light yellow that they had in the sixties up to maybe an adult person's chest hight, and the top walls were whitewashed.
The windows were totally sealed so when work was on, not the tiniest bit of white light could enter the room, only the red lamp above the washing unit was on.
I loved to be allowed into the darkroom with my uncle and/or father and/or sister (later) ... but was too little to really have learned that much. And now this very darkroom is no more and hasn't been for decades...
But I never spent a moment's thought on if any other darkroom could have been more tiring or less tiring or even different at all, since that is the only darkroom I have ever seen and been to.

The walls in my darkroom are... yellow!!! But the darkroom is also my kitchen!;) However, I agree, the yellow is better than black as it reflects some light.

Thank you.. yes.. white, light yellow, light anything.. but NEVER EVER

BLACK!

and if your judging color prints for color cast and color correcton, make sure you have a cool white flourescent luminare. (fixture) ha ha code changes!

its all about reflecting the safe lights.

so you can work comfortably for extend time periods, with out the drastic fatique that sets in with the abscene of "color" = black think about that for a minute or two. Light can't lie.. God is "light" wow! in him there is no darkness! # ONE reason for my "continued" success(es) four of em.!

-=[Majik Imaje]=-
Quit looking at abscene of COLOR and improve your IMAGINATION!

I played and played for many many months with thier (my 4 sons) INITIALS for months.. I was not going to give up.. THEN.. SOMEONE?
SAW.. that I wasn't going to give up and then it was SHOWN TO ME.

it is a well known FACT:.. COLORS influence us, stimulate us, etc.

why spend extended time exposed to "black" it just doesn't make ans sense! so I give both of them to you! my 2 cents for what it is worth.

I am nothing, no body.. but I betcha .. I can teach you stuff you have never heard!

I will show you how.. to make $$ big money.. just by "reading"!

Seems like a good idea, but I do not see it working. Consider that B&W contrast filters are red and yellow. A lot like safe lights. Coloured light bouncing all the place could effect the image. I prefer black because I know that ambient light is not hitting my photo. Last thing I need is another element to take into consideration as far as the print goes. In colour printing the idea sounds like a nightmare. The darkroom is a large camera. Ambient light needs to be eliminated to get a true representation of the photo. No doubt that spending 14 hours in the darkroom is slightly painful. I just grin and bear it. It was kind of my sanctuary. I do not gravitate toward well lit areas. I am more of dark and or contrasty guy.

I got 2 cents to ask a question?

what does black & white contrast filters have to do with "safe-light" output ?

DON'T YOU THINK Kodak, has TESTED THIS? I know I have.

presumption or asumption is NO TEST!

(end of long rant)

Assumptions for sure. I do not care what Kodak knows. I am not positive they operate under real world conditions. I do know that I would never use a darkroom that was not dark.

First of all.. if a room is truely light tight..

it is dark! pitch black! correct?!

now turn on SAFE-lights..

that room is still without EXTRANEOUS LIGHT .. correct ? YES!

a safe-light.. IF IT IS POSITIONED the correct distance away from sensitive materials 4' I think.. and if that safelight has the correct wattage lamp

and if that safelight has the CORRECT filter in it..

it can't possibly fog: or INFLUENCE that paper.. IF IT IS kept the correct distance away and for the length of time it is permitted to be out in theh open SAFE AREA.

other than that.. NOTHING can INFLUENCE that print or paper.. NOT EVEN THE COLOR OF THE WALLS! but it does make life EASIER!

your points are moot. THEORY dictates that your statements are FALSE.

no offense.. Kodak is not aware of real world examples ? what are you smoking ?

I am not positive they operate under real world conditions.

NOW I KNOW.. your smoking something that is affecting your BRAIN!

do you realize what you just said ??? LOL :lmao:

I am not laughing out loud. I am only trying to convey my thoughts on your post. Right or wrong, they are my thoughts. Your thoughts definitely have merit. Never put labels like moot or false or "what are you smoking" on posts. We are all friends here, so it is very important that we act that way.

Love and Bass

LOl !! your computer is your "lightroom" there is nothing Dark about your computer.

sorry I just couldn't resist! terminolgy is important to express yourself! I am a stickler for "details" !

... your smoking something that is affecting your BRAIN!

Please everyone watch what they say here. Some things do not contribute to a discussion, they only add meta-elements of feelings of superiority, aggression and what else there is that might make a discussion quite unpleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back