B&W tips

Push processing - film is developed for a longer period of time (than the recommended).
Increasing development adds more development action to the most dense areas (shadow area) on the film ... thus bringing out more detail in the dark zones.

I love low speed film. I try not use anything higher than 100 ISO.
Kodak Panatomic-X was my favourite (32 ISO).
Ilford Pan-F is 50.

Most B+W shooters have a Red filter.
Yellow darkens blue.
Red darkens green.
etc.

would like to shoot a lot more, but the only camera shop sells it for $6 for a 36 exposure. Is there any good online dealer that sells for less?

I buy film from adorama. They have it for 3.89/roll right now or you could buy a 50 pack for $187.00.

I don't have a BS in B&W-however.....

If you want B&W SHOOT it! Desatching a color picture is just one more pain that you can do without.
I mean, Steven Spielberg didn't shoot "Schindlers List" in color just so he could go back and take all of the color out-Shooting B&W has it's own set of challenges as well. Believe it or not, wardrobe tests are actually required for B&W as well as color!

This might sound cliche' but most anytime I shoot "old stuff" I am compelled to switch over to B&W-it just seems fitting even if it's not totally necessary.
It puts me in the proper place for the subject matter at hand.

Old Growth 1904 524 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Nice thing too about mono, is that white balance gets tossed out the window, at least during the aquisition. Composition and exposure is about all you have to worry about.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back