TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I`m new to photography so any feedback really helps thanks all :D

P1040758.jpg

tilted camera really doesn't do anything to add to this shot for me. The bright, blown out building on the right side of the frame is where my goes to first and doesn't add to the composition at all. The blown out sky also is not very interesting so perhaps it could have been cropped or framed in camera to minimize it. The leading lines of the track are nice, but there's a lot of detail there that is lost in shadow. Rather than the building on the right, there are trees on the left side of the frame that could make the image more interesting.

Overall, it's a good effort, but the execution could be a bit better.

The tilt isnt working for me here. I dont mind tilt, I actually like it in many images, but this type of image seems to be working with lines and symetry, and by tilting the image, it breaks that making it look awkward.

There is a big variation in contrast between the lower left half (very dark) and the upper right half (very bright, blown out). A bit more even exposure would of helped, although this could of been caused by the scene itself. This is where HDR photography can come into play, where you could take 3 images at 3 exposure levels and merge them to 1. Doing a slight HDR and finding the right scene are key. You can then switch that HDR into a black and white. Might turn out.

Getting in a bit tighter on the tracks would help the composition. One thing my eye picked up on was the piece of branches on the upper left that is out of place and again works are breaking the symetry.

Looks like you found a nice place. Hopefully you can head back for a reshoot

thanks for the reply :) I didnt mention that I was a pasenger in a van when I took this pic lol

NO EXCUSES! lol

Seriously though, was the van moving? I guess that would explain the tilt, but that wouldn't explain the range in contrast in the image. Maybe ask the driver to stop next time? :)

If shooting through glass, it might explain some of the severe contrast, but shooting that close to Noon is more likely the culprit.

I think the cropped picture looks alot better just a question how did you do it? and thank you :D

You're Welcome!
Well, I started by, rotating it counter-clockwise (which I should have gone another degree) then cropped it to remove most of the "clutter". Next I clone stamped the sky to cover the top portion of the building and then cloned the trees to cover the lower half of the building. Then I went to the left side and cloned out the tree branch. That's about it. All done in photoshop.

That is quite an improvement.
Well done.
A very good use for PS!

I agreed with most everyone about the original.
Thanks for your explanation on your PS work.

I have photoshop but I barely know how to use it, its hard to find time between work grr lol :D

Yes, it's still crooked. It really ruins the image.

A polarized filter, might help your skies. They aren't very expensive and do wonders, for your photographs.

Another option is Graduated neutral density filters. Wikipedia has good explanation of them, if you don't know about them, they explain it better then I could.

Most reactions

Back