B&W

et5057

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ill preface this by saying i apologize for making two threads in the space of a few minutes and I guess I should have added them together...
but anyway,,,
//I am traveling this coming week and I want to shoot with some B&W in my Pentax K1000 (yeah,,....it is pretty junky), Given that I am somewhat new to film and very new to black and white, what kinds of film would be best for bringing out a wide range of grey tones/contrasty-ness (i suppose thats not a word) with this camera? or maybe it doesnt matter too much?
thanks

et

there is nothing wrong with that camera, it has been a standard for beginners for many years.

I would look at one of the 400 ISO films as they are more forgiving which is important (IMHO) with a beginner.

You will get a variety of suggestions , but i would recommend either trix or hp5+. Stick with one film , regardless of what you pick. Learn what it will do for you.

You really need to start thinking in black and white, as it more complicated than just seeing any image and thinking it will look great in that medium.

will you be developing your film, sending it out for printing, or learning the darkroom process as well?

In your other thread, you said you're using HP5.. I would stick with that personally.. that's what I use and like.

ahh yes im sorry, maybe its cause I havent been able to shoot for a week, i feel like an idiot; I do shoot in black and white. sorry ann for you writing so much. And yes I know how and do develop and process my own film...

since your printing your negatives it will be easier to start fine tuning your negatives to match your light source.

there is no need to being sorry :)

Hey, et. Yeah, if you're using HP5 already, then keep on. You said new to black and white. Well, you have a great camera for it. COMPLETE CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!! One thing I always do to get great contrast if the meter reads close between one EV and another, I drop down to get more contrast. Lower exposure values will get more seperation and make the pics pop. Then you just add a little development time in the darkroom to compensate. (Did I just type 'pop'? GEEZ!)

Most reactions

Back