'Baby in the bath' ideas?

colintinto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been trying to take some pictures of my 4 week old daughter in the bath, and while there is nothing technically wrong with them, they're a bit dull. I'm struggling to come up with composition ideas, so I wondered if anyone on here had taken any they'd like to share?

I can imagine many people have pictures, but don't want to share them, but that's partly my idea - I don't want to take pictures that she will be embarassed about in 18 years time...

Colin

Post some actuall pic for us to critic and that might help you

With kids that little, I've found that super close-ups tend to work best, if for no other reason than since they can't hold their heads up, they always need to be propped up and whatnot.

Couple of ideas to try...

• Close up of the baby's face with some suds on the forehead (to emphasize that she's in the tub).
  • (this one's tougher) Use a fast lens (f/2.8 or f/1.8 work well) and get the baby's foot up on the edge of her tub. Focus on the foot and keep her face in frame, but blurred into the DOF. This shot usually takes a lot of tries to get it just the way you want it, but when it comes out it's awesome!
  • I've also done some close-ups of just hands with soap suds all around them, toes with the rest of the foot in the water, etc.
Have fun! (And congratulations!!!!)

I've done Shark's second suggestion and it does look great. For me, it's all about the baby's expression so I usually focus on that. Does she like the bath and look content? Or, is she like my oldest son who screamed as soon was we started to undress him? I've got some good shots of that as well. I'd love to see what you've tried so far!

i would like to see some to. Think im gonna try to take some of my nephew taking a bath (he is like 7 weeks now, cute little fella)
Thanks for the tips

Most reactions

Back