Baby photos...hard

bunny99123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have never taken photos of a baby, but my cousin just adopted a baby girl. It is hard to meter correctly. Most were taken by a window with no flash. This was spur of the moment.

$image-4102829632.jpg

$image-3452311630.jpg

$image-2972811706.jpg

Overall you need flash. Flash and more flash. #2 had real potential but I think you'd need to approach it differently...from a few steps back for starters. #3, well, no one is going to frame an upside-down baby. But good attempt! Work on #2

Thank for you. Not much time for thinking. Will try bouncing flash next. Did like my nephew and niece is the best. He is very hyper.

I use window light in a lot of my photos. Part of the issue I see here is you appear to have a room light on that is oranging your shadows. Also the flower print is distracting. Something solid print and soft is usually flattering in a baby portrait. It takes a little planning but if you get good window light in one of your rooms figure the best time of day for shooting there. You could also set up backdrops and get a reflector to even out the shadows on your subject.

I am no expert but I do prefer natural light.

Last edited:
Really like number 2 but the bigger child's hair kinda gets lost in the background! Not sure if that's just my screen though

Aside from the obvious lighting issues, there are some DOF problems as well. in #1 and #3 the babys arms are OOF and the rest looks soft to me.
natural light is great....provided you are getting great lighting with it. I am a HUGE fan of OCF and bounced flash.
#2 has some very harsh light from somewhere, and also could have greatly benefited from some fill flash.
I don't know what aperture you shot these at, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would say f/1.8-ish. I would stop the lens down a bit and use a flash.

#2 is the strongest of the set as far as technical aspects go, as well as composure.

1. Lighting angle could have been better.
2. Light source looks small and harsh, based on the shadows. I would have used a curtain to diffuse it a bit.
3. Baby girl is adorable!!!

Most reactions

Back