Baby Photos

zombiekilla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
totentanz.darkverselight.com
A friend of mine asked me to take portrait style photos of her baby. She is about 10 months old. Ive never done portraits before so I need some help! I have a simple backdrop put together that Im going to use and two clip lights that are my desk lights. They look like this:
Breeze_Clip_Light.jpeg

I need all the help and ideas I can get!

We might put this into the Portrait Forum ... that might help you. Let's hope for the best over there - I shall move this.

HI!

I am not a professional.. However, my best advise that I can give you that Ihave learned from many others here is natural LIGHT... Find a BIG window with lots and lots of light coming in.. IF you do chances are you dont need the extra clip lights... Natural light is a wonderful thing... :D You can use reflecters from the other side facing your subject so the light bounces off onto them.... Practice with an object to see results... It might help you out some .. Especially if you are dong them from Ur home

I agree with Holly, when I've tried to use regular lamps like that the pictures have been just icky. They take a lot of work in PS to fix the hot spots they create and you have to fix the color and stuff. But, natural light coming in from a window is great. Also, do you have to do them indoors? What about going outside and using the great fall foliage as a backdrop instead?

I have never taken shots of kids that young (though I am planning to in the next few weeks. What is the benefit of a baby half-brother if you can't take his photo eh? ;)) but my greatest suggestion is to primarily get shots of the child in his/her environment. I am guessing at 10 months, they probably won't be too interesting in curling asleep in a basket (common prop), but they might enjoy rolling in the leaves aside. After a little bit of this, try the portrait like shots (with the window light as suggested) and then return to something they enjoy doing.

Sorry I am not too large of a help, but, the advice you have received prior to me was great :)

I take lot's of newborn pictures and I use natural light from a window and a reflector and bounce the flash off the ceiling. Big white sheet or duvet cover and prop it over the headboard and voila that works great for a backdrop. Solid blankets also are great and anything textured is fun.

Good suggestions.

My one suggestion is to make sure you shoot on the baby's level. If they are on the floor...get down on the floor etc. Don't shoot down onto them.

Here are a couple that I shot earlier this year. Just on the floor with a big window for light.

IMG_8390-a-web.jpg

IMG_8408-a-web.jpg

Portriats are difficult at this age. If your friend wants to have the backdrop I would give the baby several things to hold/play with to keep her occupied. My daughter is 9 1/2 months and the photos I get of her are just sort of random shots because she won't sit still at all. My boys were the same at her age. If the Mom is willing to do outdoor shots that might be a lot of fun this time of year. He is a recent one of my daughter at the playground (natural light + a little fill flash). I think it's easiest to just follow her around and capture what she does.

1846-CRW_8958web.jpg

These are a few fall portraits that I've done. This little boy was a little older, but not much. Again, this was natural light with either a fill flash or a reflector)

IMG_4416bw.jpg

IMG_4436sepia.jpg

IMG_4485.jpg

Good luck and I hope you post your results!

hi, i have shot a few bubs @ this age and similar.... be prepared for a workout... these little tackers sure can move... i used a white backdrop which i love and natural light... this little cutie had a big sister that could put him back in the centre of the backdrop when he crawled off... plus a loopy, singing , dancing mum behind me:lmao: ... trust me u need all the help you can get!! xx goodluck, have fun, be patient, and have a cold drink ready for you for after the workout/shoot!! be sure to post on here!!

IMG_6151.jpg

Jennifer... now if i told u i may have to kill you xx heee heee... with a name like white wish photography it has to be white!! Just used my handy white backdrop, which i set up under my patio, lots of natural light flooding through and got in nice and close with my 50mm 1.8lens that i am in love with... hope this helps... thanks xx

It's just so bright, especially the eyes! Amazing! :)
I'll have to try. So far I've only got a black bg, I'll have to try and dig up something to use as white. Thanks!! hopefully I can do something like that for my son!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back