back again, critique please

calmom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
as if the first time around wasn't a big enough blow.:lol: i'm kidding. you were all a wonderful help with my first picture.

anyway, this picture was shot at iso 1600, ss 1/125 and f 4.6. the lighting was very poor in this house and i feel this picture reflects the actual light conditions.

i was hoping to capture a little bit of this girl's shyness and ambivalence in front of the camera and i hope that the fact that she is half in shadow and half in the little bit of light reflects that. this picture is large to make it easier to see the detail in the photo. i can resize it if necessary to make it smaller. so, what i'm wanting is to know if this photo captures your attention at all, do you get a sense of her emotions maybe? also comments on the black and white conversion. i'm working on that.

316172104_5606b9bceb_b.jpg

It captures my attention, but doesn't hold it.
I think her expression and pose is spot on for shyness.
It also works very well in Black and white.

Maybe if you get chance next time, use a flash but diffuse it heavily. Just to give you a soft light so you can shoot at lower ISO. The noise/grain is really heavy in this shot and I think it detracts from it alot.

I don't think I'd have done much more different, but then everyone has their own styles.

nice shot :)

gizmo, thank you for the tip. i really dislike flash in general but maybe i shouldn't write the idea of using a flash off so quickly. i will check in the gimp to see if it has some sort of noiseware in it. i appreciate your thoughts.

mysteryscribe, thanks.

No problems. Happy to help.

I hope you don't mind me playing with the image a little. I thought it might help you.

316172104_5606b9bceb_b.jpg

Process:
Open image.
Resized to 900pixels high. (personal taste)
Neat Image (a free noise reduction software.... check it out)
Slight nudge in contrast.
Gaus Blur at 0.2 to soften the whole image.
Burn tool on the left background at 17%.
Bordered and presented to you.

Hope you like what I did. Some really simple steps.

i don't mind at all! resizing? i thought resize meant going from thumbnail to medium to large, etc. this must be the little button on the bottom of the screen in gimp. does this change the resolution?

neat image- i'll check into that.

i especially like the nudge in contrast. i've not figured out the burn tool yet. i like what you did with it.

thank you for your time! this is very helpful to me.

now i really should get off this computer and tend to my kids. they are most unappreciative of time spent bettering my photography.:roll: :D

I believe resolution and size are pretty much the same thing when talking in pixels.
like 800x600 or 1024x768pixels. Both size and resolution.

No problems.
I enjoy helping in areas that I can.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back