Back and forth on what to do...

stickman.walks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I opened a Tumblr blog and I purchased a .com for my name and directed the Tumblr to the .com address and technically, all is up and working fine.

I have amassed about 1000 photographs in the last few months. Most are things I see from foot trips and exploring around different towns and areas. They definitely fall more within the realm of documentary style stuff or fine art photography.

So I am wondering where to go from here - in a sane, focused manner. Sure I see many photographers who dump everything they have on their blog/website and organize it into either categories such as architecture, landscape, people, models, diary. And I also see photographers who create project pages, as if they were an online exhibition, let`s sway for example `You Win Some, You Lose Some` and within that are 8-15 photos that they feel work with that theme.

With so many photos on hand and knowing I want to be picky and careful, and not just dump 1000 photos on my page, I am looking for some genuine guidance on what I should and should`t do with this page.

With Tumblr, everything you upload to it all goes on the main page, so project/classifiable pages are essential. There`s no doubt about that in my mind. But I was thinking perhaps my homepage (this Tumblr page) really should be more focused, such as listing a handful of project pages, and then the obligatory about page, contact page, and maybe prints page (for selling) and maybe a diary page where I can put the remainders that didn`t make it into a project.

Or with all those extra photos, so you think I should just make a second or third Tumblr blog (without .com) and put them on there and try to leave my website as clean as possible.

I guess it`s easy to look at a someone successful like the ever popular/hated TR who`s website has been down for a year+, and just has hundreds and hundreds of photos on his Tumblr page. Though of course his pro work is shown at Art Partners.

For someone looking to make a future in documentary style or fine arts stuff - or just perhaps whatever suits my fancy in front of my lens - what should I do or should`t I.

Please help guide a novice.

Thanks.

I'm not an expert.

IMHO don't lay down your cards. You can start with a WP blog. Tell your readers more about your work.
Showcase your strengths, feature one 'story' at a time by then you can categorize your 'flavours'.
Check out other photography sites, be inspired.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Maybe I'm confused as to your intent... but you want to use *TUMBLR* as your main website? Why? Out of all the blog layouts to choose from, that seems like a poor decision to me.

Like you said, you can't really organize anything on there...

I agree with going with a Wordpress blog, if anything.

Most reactions

Back