Back button and other stuff

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Richard Hutchings, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Scott Whaley

Scott Whaley No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It just takes a little practice as
    as does everything. I love using the BBF feature.

2. pez

pez Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry, should have checked. All my Pentax bodies have multiple user function setups- even the K-70 and K-S2. When I (rarely!) pass my camera to a friend, I just switch it a conventional mode.

3. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Back Button Focus, why is it so good? Set up your camera to back button focus and then set your focus mode to Continuous. When your camera is setup this way you can focus on a certain point, take your thumb off the button and recompose your picture and shoot just like in AF-S mode with the shutter release. However, if you leave your thumb down you will be in AF-C mode for shooting moving subjects like birds in flight etc. Back button lets you switch instantly between the 2 modes without having to change any settings. You can't do this with the shutter release button.

4. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

First thing, WRITE DOWN "YOUR" configuration.
    Then "reset" the camera, to clear the configuration to default.
    Then enter YOUR configuration.

When you get into a situation where the camera is not behaving as you think it should, it could be that you configured it for something, and forgot to reconfigure back to your standard. Do this enough times and the camera can behave badly.
    Then "reset" to get back to default, and apply YOUR configuration, and you are back to YOUR standard.

USE the camera for a while with different settings.
    Sometimes you can figure out if you like or don't like a configuration in a few hours, other times you need days or weeks of experience with a configuration before you can make a decision to keep it or not.
    Whenever you make a change (any kind of change), at first it will be confusing. This is normal human behavior to change. You have to get past this stage before you can make a decision on that change.

Try different things.
    Example, I reconfigured the "record" button to be ISO change. So I press the record button and turn the rear dial to change my ISO. That reconfiguration works FOR ME, because I sometimes change the ISO often.