Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok...I've said this before, but I'm really wanting to get more serious about it...I REALLY want to start practicing portraits. At the moment I can't afford any real equipment, so I'm gonna rig some stuff. I'm gonna go looking for some fabric (probably just go with either black or white for now) to use for a backdrop. Here is my question...how big does it need to be? How much fabric do I need? I think I can figure the height alright...but how wide should it be?

Thanks in advance!!! :)

As wide as you can get it would be ideal. With some fabrics, you may be able to sew (or have them sewn) together to make it as wide as you want. Some fabrics may show the seem which would not be cool.

As for length. Are you just getting a back drop to hang vertically? Some back drops are up to 25 feet long so that they can hang over the back ground and cover the floor & stools etc. That might be something to think about.

Look for 120" muslin at the fabric store. Here at full price it's $7/yd which comes out to about $45 for 10x20'

I really need to look into making my own, seems a LOT cheaper.

I already planned on making it long enough to cover the floor! :) Thanks for all the advice...I'm gonna go price some stuff either tommorrow or the day after! :D

Also gonna be looking for some more inexpensive stools/benches to use.

core_17 said:
Also gonna be looking for some more inexpensive stools/benches to use.

Try Target or Walmart, they often have stools that can be used for posing. I got mine there for $9 a piece. For benches (kid size) Target also had some inexpensive put together your self children's furniture as well. I also have two wooden childsize chairs that I got from Kitchen, Etc a while back.

I was planning on checking out Walmart...also, there's a Big Lots (don't know if you've heard of that place) that has a big furniture section. It's not the most durable stuff, but it looks pretty nice. I got a round bar table and two bar stools (that I've gotten tons of compliments on!) there for $109 when I first moved out on my own...and they have a lay-away plan, which is always good! :D I've been checking out some photog studio websites for ideas on pricing and all that once I decide I'm good enough to start doing it for $$. I'm getting pretty pumped about this...I've already got everything in mind that I need to set up the back drop, and how I'm going to hang it...looks like Menards is gonna be one of my favorite stores for a while!

Rather than buying furniture at Wal-mart or whereever...why not look for something used? You could probably find something a lot sturdier with a lot more character. Because it's used, you won't have to worry about modifying it. Get two used wooden chairs...paint one white and one black.

Yeah...I've thought of that, too...not sure where to look around here for used stuff, since it's not garage sale season. Maybe I'll make a date with my phone book tonight and see if there are used furniture stores anywhere around.

You guys are great! Tons of help!

That's a good suggestion, Mike. I always look at antique stores but so far the items I've liked have been a little too pricey.

Salvation Army...thrif stores....That's the kind of place I was thinking...it's like antique stuff....only not way, way overpriced. :lol:

Maybe not the type of stuff you want to buy and put in your living room (or maybe you do) but for use as props on a budget...I think it's the way to go.

Most reactions

Back