Back From Vacation Thoughts

elsapo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.teamwetdog.com
Hello All...

I took a week off from work this month, ostensibly to shoot photos and clean up a lot of little details that had been bothering me lately. In reality, I just needed some time to relax and sort of re-pace myself.

I get the feeling sometimes that I just sort of drop by my apartment to change clothes. Leave early, get back late and spend too much time in an office during those in-between hours. And while that may be an exaggeration (on some days), sometimes I think it's necessary to just pause, rest, take some time and not have to be anywhere.

So I took a week off and didn't plan anything big. Two concerts in Philly and NYC were as far as I planned on going. I got up early a few days to shoot some pictures around dawn. I drank a lot of coffee, ate breakfast for dinner and on my first day back at work celebrated my 29th birthday.

Anyways, this email is a random batch of thoughts from the last week or so…

»» No one in my family has a sense of direction. Last Tuesday I woke up at 3 a.m., intending to drive to the nearest beach to shoot some photos at sunrise. I made some coffee, jotted down some directions and expected to be there within an hour. With sunrise around 6 a.m., I should have had plenty of time.

Two hours later, I gave up. I'd been on I-95, 295, 495, MD-4 and a whole bunch of smaller roads. I'd driven in circles, back and forth and generally made zero progress. From the time I finally threw in the towel to the time I made it back to the center of D.C., only about ten minutes passed. I honestly think I was never more than six miles from my apartment.

Not having a sense of direction has its good and bad points. I tend to get lost often (obviously). But at the same time, most times, I just try and not have a destination. It's not possible to get lost, if you're not really going anywhere.

»» It took six days to really lose track of what day it was. I think that's not such a good sign, in some ways: my (our?) daily schedule of a five day work week is so ingrained that even with nowhere to be and nothing to do, I found myself aware of what day it was, and just how much more blissful time off was left. I think it's kind of sad to find yourself counting down the time to things.

Finally, on Friday morning, I woke up and thought it was a Sunday. It just felt like a Sunday, with that lazy, timeless quality.

»» I spent lunch today in a small park near my office, reading 'I Bought Andy Warhol." On the way back, I walked by the fountain where I shot this (http://www.teamwetdog.com/indexes/index23.htm). Now, in August, it's full of water and life and motion. The fountain today bears no resemblance to the picture I took; something about that makes me happy.

Hope things are well with you...

— Robert

I couldn't get the link to work on the fountain photo..but the restful break sounded like it was much needed, as usual. Welcome back dude and um it's Thursday just incase you forget.;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back