"back in the day"

LOL how things change in 30+ years.

Too bad we can't shop from that! lol I could find something there I'd like...

Hey look, I've use a Beseler like that! and not all that long ago.

That's not far enough back for me. Try this:

il_fullxfull.375858531_6m5o.jpg

Joe

LOL...Excuse me??!! "Back in the day"??!! I remember Wall St very well. :dob:
I looked up this mag in Google Books. A lot of good memories in those pages

Hey joe, I like your ad's as well. I had one of those VXIIa's Beautiful Cameras. Machining and finish was top knotch

Last edited:
That Pentax auto focus zoom lens looks challenging.

At least 1959 was before my time, although I know my grandfather retired his Contax with a bad shutter for a Nikon F the following year. Now that Popular Photography, I probably had that issue. Amazing I don't smoke after looking at how many cigarette adds I was subjected to in those magazines. Thanks for posting.

LOL...Excuse me??!! "Back in the day"??!! I remember Wall St very well. :dob:
I looked up this mag in Google Books. A lot of good memories in those pages

Hey joe, I like your ad's as well. I had one of those VXIIa's Beautiful Cameras. Machining and finish was top knotch

I shot with 4 of the 6 cameras on that page and I used to sell the other 2. I didn't get my hands on them when they were brand new though (not quite that old) -- I came in about a decade later when there were lots of these around used.

Joe

Cool ad, I have two of those cameras. Got the Contaflex at a store in a local college town nearby when it went out of business and dug stuff out of the depths of the cellar, although they seemed to sell everything but cameras! Used to, still sold some film, but mostly gifty stuff.

DerrelsfirstSLRZeissIkon.jpg
My FIRST SLR was a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex, with 45mm f/2.8 Pantar lens. I bought it from Wall St. camera's used department! It had a non-instant return mirror, and interlocking shutter speed and f/stops coupled to an external, selenium-cell, match-needle metering system. It had an interlens (aka leaf) shutter that went up to 1/500 second. Here's an old photo of it made maybe a decade ago. I was in 7th grade when I bought this thing with money I had earned splitting oak firewood for an elderly lady named Mrs. Middleton. She gave me 50 cents per paper sack full of split wood, and she wanted it split into small, kitchen trash-burner type stove thickness pieces...wow...what a PITA that was. The princely sum of $59.95 was just about THE cheapest used SLR I could mail-order from Popular Photography magazine.

Last edited:
View attachment 95255 My FIRST SLR was a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super, with 45mm f/2.8 Pantar lens. I bought it from Wall St. camera's used department! It had a non-instant return mirror, and interlocking shutter speed and f/stops coupled to an external, selenium-cell, match-needle metering system. It had an interlens (aka leaf) shutter that went up to 1/500 second. Here's an old photo of it made maybe a decade ago. I was in 7th grade when I bought this thing with money I had earned splitting oak firewood for an elderly lady named Mrs. Middleton. She gave me 50 cents per paper sack full of split wood, and she wanted it split into small, kitchen trash-burner type stove thickness pieces...wow...what a PITA that was. The princely sum of $59.95 was just about THE cheapest used SLR I could mail-order from Popular Photography magazine.

Gotta love that "Contaflex" in a script font on the front -- classy.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back