Backdrop materials

Allan_A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I build custom fishing rods as a part time job and I am wanting to take better photos of the finished products for my website. I was just shooting with a P&S against anything that was convenient at the time, i.e against a tree, on the floor. I wanted to get something that looked more professional and didn't distract from the rod as the main focus point in the pictures and to showcase the rod better. I'm new to photography and DSLR and never had to setup a back drop and was wondering what the best material to use would be? I've seen pictures online from other builders that look like they were shot in front of a white sheet but I'm not 100% certain what the material is.

You can use any white material, really. You could use muslin, linen, a white bed sheet, paper, card, even a white painted wall. White is white is white!

Awesome thanks, I wasn't sure if there was maybe a special type of material. Will try a white sheet.

I'd also suggest paper. The 'seamless' part just means that the paper is long enough to be both the 'floor' and 'back wall' of your set, and therefore there is no seam in the corner. You can do that with fabric as well, but it's not going to be as clean looking as paper.

I also have a vinyl backdrop that I use, it gives a similar look to paper, but is more durable. Although, the beauty of using paper is that you buy it on rolls, and you can just roll out fresh/clean paper when it gets worn or dirty.

Paper or fabric would be a good start (maybe all you'll need or want) but for top quality shots, I'd suggest setting up an appropriate 'set' to make a nice background for your rods. I'm envisioning a fish basket, maybe some nondescript lures and other accessories that will add to the scene, without being distracting.
You probably have some fishing magazines laying around, check out what typical rod/reel ads look like....and get some inspiration from that.

Thanks for the link KmH and for the info Mike. All new to me so every little bit helps.

Most reactions

Back