backdrop questions

goodoneian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
not sure if this belongs here or in the beginners section, so feel free to move it if if needed..

anyways, i've been looking into getting some sort of seamless backdrop for quite some time now. i'm not really sure where to go about getting rolls of seamless paper though. i've googled and found some websites that sell them but i wanted to see if you guys had any reccomdnedations on where to buy them from.

also, this may be a matter of preference, but what would be best, black, neutral greyish, or white? i'm thinking grey because i know i could relatively easily blow that out to white or keep light off of it to make it darker if needed.

this is the type of stuff i'm interested in doing with a seamless backdrop

IMG_9208 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The problem with seamless paper rolls is the size of them...they probably be quite costly to ship...so if you can pick them up yourself, you can save a lot. (Provided you have a vehicle big enough).

If you are only going to get one, then grey might be the way to go...for the reasons you mention. Although, if you want it to appear white and show it all the way from the floor and up the back...it might take a lot of light to achieve that. I seem to remember that they really aren't all that expensive...so if you are going to get one...you might as well get two or three...then you don't have to worry so much about trying to make grey look like black or white.

I'm not sure where you would get them. Any decent photo shop (that caters to pros) should have them or be able to order them for you.

At B&H they're about $60 including shipping (107" rolls). At my local store they're about 50+tax. They are big, Big Mike brings up a good point about them - difficult to move... I have a truck, so it's not a big deal for me - but can be a pain when it's rainy. I got 7 different colors, and have used black/white/gray most of the time. Gray would be a good one to start with. Then, white would be my second choice.

Ok, its a little more expensive, but that lightstand rig and crossbar with a nice long cloth sure is reusable and manageable by one person.

Grey is about the best becuase via aperture or flash or gels you can get it to go any colour you want. I like the look of black, though, but it can get monotonous after a while.

Ok, its a little more expensive, but that lightstand rig and crossbar with a nice long cloth sure is reusable and manageable by one person.

Grey is about the best becuase via aperture or flash or gels you can get it to go any colour you want. I like the look of black, though, but it can get monotonous after a while.

i've been looking at the light stand rig you're talking about and it's pretty tempting to get.

i never looked at b&h for some reason, but i think i'm gonna go with savage's fashion grey backdrop for now. since as jerry said, i can get pretty much any color i want out of it since i have flashes and gels at my disposal.

I use BH for everything, you can't go wrong w/ savage either. I think fashion gray is a great choice. I ordered focus gray - the 107 roll and it arrived yesterday, I can't wait to use it.

Savage makes seamless roll paper in two sizes - 107" (which requires solid stands) and 53" widths. A roll of any color 53" paper is about $38 and they are easy to handle.

Google Savage and you can probably buy directly from them.

Michael

Most reactions

Back