Backdrops and lighting

Paul Buff does a lot to deserve his reputation.
His reputation with his customers is excellent. His reputation with his non-customers and detractors is irrelevant.

Anyways, do some research first. This is on B&H. You can put the kit together used for probably about $1200. That's 2400w/s. Let me repeat that. That's 2400w/s.

Speedotron | 2400 W/S 3 Head Flash Kit | 11292 | B&H Photo Video
Nice system, but probably just a wee bit overkill for a home studio hobbyist... unless you like shooting at f/22 for some reason. That kind of power is great I suppose, but I've never needed it. I easily over power mid-day sun with my B800's with a large softbox. In my home studio I shoot at 1/2 power or less to stay at f/8 for optimum IQ.

A B400 kit (assuming it is for a home studio) is half that price and more than likely all he'll need.

If money is no object, why stop with a $1,200 system? Go all out and drop $10k and get a killer pro setup.

I'm an AB customer. I still think he's a douche waffle. He blames his own customers that use his forums for not "policing" them enough and shuts them all down? He whines and he's childish. He promises equipment that he doesn't deliver on. His current products work great for those that want something in that price range.

2400 w/s can be stopped down. 4 Lights hooked up shoot at 600w/s full power. That's a little cheaper than 4 AB1600s?

And like was posted, you can get smaller power packs for cheaper. There was a 400w/s pack for something like $165 on Ebay.

Derrel,

Can you post a sample of an image you shot with your lights that I couldn't have shot with my Bee's? I went through your online port here Derrel's Photo Galleries at pbase.com and saw nothing exceptional. Most shots are pretty generic with really generic lighting. Do you have a folder somewhere that I've missed that showcases your artistic work that might push the limits of your lighting system or is something I couldn't do with mine?

3669833248_487d9f8b28_o.jpg

The one speedo head we were using on this shot was attached to a boom pole with a large beauty dish on it. We were holding it about 10' in the air off the ground. A monolight would have weighed more and been even worse.

Here's a shot using a B800 with Vagabond and a brown line with a vagabond. The beauty dish was lighting the girl and the Bee with the softbox was feathered across the guy's back.

3669042409_930a493160_o.jpg

Light is light. Bees might not have the consistency of a more expensive brand of strobe, but the type of light you get from a Bee with a softbox will be the type of light you get from a profoto with a softbox. The laws of physics don't bend for a manfacture.

What you do get is the ability to go with big power, lighter lights, and faster recycling times and durations.

There are negatives, like having lights tethered to a pack means you can't move them as far apart unless you have several packs (which people do) and if the pack blows, you're screwed where as if you would have lost one monolight, you would have additional ones.

Different solution for different people. What you do get with a more expensive system is build quality. Drop an Alien Bee on the ground and what do you do? Return it to PCB. Drop a well built strobe on the ground? Replace the flash tube? If you're lucky, look at the dent for a minute and put it back up.

VI,

I've dropped my Bee's a couple of times... once from about 5ft. I've yet to break anything including a flash tube... although I keep spares because I tend to be clumsy.

I agree light is light. For a hobbyist, I would imagine we both agree a moon light is a fine solution. Pro's need more versatile gear, I think we both can acknowledge that. But it seems people on these boards always want to recommend way more gear to the noob than the noob needs. It would be akin to him asking "which camera do I need?" and telling him "buy a 1D or D3 because in extreme professional circumstances these bodies will do things a D40 can't."

If the noob has a deal with Chevy to shoot their 2011 Corvette and we just don't know about it, yeah... he might want to investigate buying something more than Bee's.

As for PCB and his personality, he's a bit eccentric to say the least. Who cares? If I have a problem with one of his products, he stands behind it 100% with no questions asked. I don't care that he blows a fuse and goes off online to those asshats that endlessly rip on him. He should know better than to feed the trolls, but he doesn't.

As for his new products, yes - he tends to over state things. Again, who cares? I don't buy vaporware. I might buy his new ABMax lights when they hit the street eventually, maybe I won't. It's a non-issue to me. I have working lights that I get a LOT of use out of that serve me very well. His current products have a reputation for being of good quality for a reasonable price and his customer service is nothing short of exceptional. That's all that matters.

But what Derrel was stating that for probably about $500, they could get a 400w/s pack and head system with 3 lights. That was definitely not over-recommending anything.

There's cheaper alternatives to the Bees if you look used. It's like comparing a T1I to a 40D. Sure there's differences in features, but if you're willing to go used, you can pick up a mid level camera that has the important stuff for a lot cheaper.

But what Derrel was stating that for probably about $500, they could get a 400w/s pack and head system with 3 lights. That was definitely not over-recommending anything.

There's cheaper alternatives to the Bees if you look used. It's like comparing a T1I to a 40D. Sure there's differences in features, but if you're willing to go used, you can pick up a mid level camera that has the important stuff for a lot cheaper.
Point taken.

However, for me, I would rather buy new and have a no BS warranty and support. I don't want a pack and head system, I prefer the simplicity of the Moonlights.

Derrel couldn't make his point without implying Bee's are frail and/or suck. He also had to take a shot at PCB which, as usual, isn't warranted. If he can't make his point without making bogus claims then his point is lost in the BS.

To each their own I suppose.

Bee's are frail and/or suck.

When you see so many complaints about something as simple as the mounting bracket cracking because it's plastic and obviously a bad design, then you have to wonder.

Plus the case is lexan. Much easier to destroy than metal.

Plus ever read about the original Vagabond?

When you see so many complaints about something as simple as the mounting bracket cracking because it's plastic and obviously a bad design, then you have to wonder.
All things can break, I assume you're not saying no one has ever broken a ProPhoto something-or-other. What I do know is that I frequent a number of forums and I've read lots of comments about Bee's from owners and I've yet to read of any epidemic of breaking parts. Perhaps PCB hacks these forums and deletes these posts before I get a chance to read them. :)

Plus the case is lexan. Much easier to destroy than metal.
I won't argue that. But as I've said, it's more than sturdy enough for regular every day use by hobbyists. I've not exactly been kind to mine and they're still firing away, all three of them.

Plus ever read about the original Vagabond?
You mean the one before the Vagabond II? The one that's no longer on the market? The one that was replaced by the newer model that everyone seems to universally love, even non-Bee shooters? You mean a first generation product had some problems? That never happens with anyone else... does it? What kind of upgrade offer did PCB make to his gen 1 owners?

[SIZE=-1]If you purchased a Vagabond I any time during 2007,
you may buy the Vagabond II at a 50% discount - $149.98 (This is not a trade in - you keep both Vagabonds).
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]
:D

Most reactions

Back