Backdrops

RubyGloom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which do you prefer, seamless paper, muslin or vinyl and why?

I had bought 3 muslins but they were very difficult to get wrinkle free so I switched to seamless paper and I love it. I went in to get a new role recently and the guy told me I am wasting money and muslin or vinyl are way better. I did not like muslin and a side from the price of vinyl I would worry about it being difficult to change backdrops during shoots as well as limited colors. I am sticking with seamless as I love it but it got me thinking and was curious on what other people prefer and why. Thanks!

Paper works quite well and has been a standard for well over fifty years...if one has a good system for suspending the paper, and for rolling it down and then back up, it lasts reasonably well. The key is "good system". I like thunder gray quite a bit--it's a very useful shade of gray, and works quite well for me. I also like black paper, and white. Black works wonderfully with gels, and keeps excess gelled light from bouncing back toward the subject.

I bought a white muslin backdrop recently and I am also having issues with wrinkles. Anyone have suggestions for keeping it wrinkle free?

I won't shoot muslin unless I absolutely have to, and then it's only black backgrounds where I don't have to be worried about the wrinkles. I much rather shoot with seamless paper, or for a portable black backdrop I use a jersey knit black sheet which is very easy to stretch the wrinkles outl.

truephotoga said:
I bought a white muslin backdrop recently and I am also having issues with wrinkles. Anyone have suggestions for keeping it wrinkle free?

Leave it hanging up?!?

To get the wrinkles out, I would suggest a garment steamer. I do like muslins, but avoid light solids because they do show the wrinkles, If you dont have them hanging all the time, they do get wrinkled as stated above. I have some darker colored and patterned ones that I can yank out of a bag and use because they barely show any wrinkles. I do like seamless, but unless you have a studio they are tedious to lug around, carrying around a 10' tube isnt fun. I have never used vinyl yet.

truephotoga said:

Use a steamer and leave them hung up of possible. I also would have my subject as far from the backdrop as possible and have a large aperture and it would blur out some of the wrinkles.

Does anyone use vinyl? I recently bought a portable vinyl backdrop I like I wouldn't want to use it for studio shoots.

I don't really have a preference. I use muslin, canvas, paper rolls, custom design papers, vinyl, blankets, or whatever looks cool. Paper Rolls are the easiest because all I have to do is walk over and roll one down but they're probably my least favorite visually.

If you have a studio muslins are definitely cheaper and last, however if you can't keep them hanging up or you can't steam/iron them each time you pull them out they are a pain in the butt.
MANY photographers shoot with paper. yes, you throw it away, however it's worth the convenience if you can't keep your backdrops up.

Most reactions

Back