Background materials....

brettmc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking into purchasing a white background and some stands. I was going to do some DIY stands but the wife convinced me to spend some cash and get something that doesn't look like i pulled it out of the garbage.
I found this on B&H and it looks like a nice little kit, has anyone had any experience with it? Other questions I had was with the different materials, what are the pros and cons of muslin, paper, canvas, and vinyl? Thanks for all your help

Last edited:
If you look around some ads or photography fairs, you can pick up a set for about $100 (which is STILL overpriced!). One thing I will suggest, though... forget the backdrops. Use the great outdoors as your backdrop!

I wanted one and almost bought one... but then I realized that 99% of the time, there is WAY better results by just getting out and using locations that are interesting. ANYTHING is better than a backdrop. They are fun for the first 2-3 times... then you stop using them anyways.

Of course, they ALWAYS get dirty so fast, and need to be replaced:
3316261456_5c5d82bbe3.jpg

They are also a pain to transport. I so like it better outside... more possibilities, no limitations short of your imagination... and cheaper. :D

BTW, your link is off... THIS is the link I think you wanted to post. Still... I hope people know that all this is... is 2 X $20 lightstands and 2 6-ft sections of aluminium tubing that fit together (maybe what, another $10?) and 2 $5 clamps to hold the material and a $10 carrying bag ($70 total), and all being sold for the bargain price of... $145!! :lmao:

Even an old graffiti covered wall makes a better backdrop:
3513491063_3fa5f025fe.jpg

I will say that my only concession to using a backdrop is getting a Bottero collapsable one that I use only for 3/4 body or smaller portraits:
3019334915_bc059c448a.jpg

Mine is medium grey, but I can control the background with flashes and gels.

Last edited:
I'm looking into purchasing a white background and some stands. I was going to do some DIY stands but the wife convinced me to spend some cash and get something that doesn't look like i pulled it out of the garbage.
I found this on B&H and it looks like a nice little kit, has anyone had any experience with it? Other questions I had was with the different materials, what are the pros and cons of muslin, paper, canvas, and vinyl? Thanks for all your help

I have one of the Impact background support kits Jerry linked to (without the 10x12' white muslin). It's what I use when I need a seamless location background. It has worked out well for me.

+1 on the collapsible ones. I have both a standard set and a collapsible Westcott one. Check B&H's used section and you can pick up a collapsible 5x6 one for about $60. You can prop it against a wall or anything, or just bring a lithstand and a clamp.

Thanks for all of the help everyone, I fixed my link. I agree that being outdoors is the best option, but I figured a white infinity background would be the next best thing studio wise since there are many things that could be done.
Has anyone had any experience with the different materials such as canvas, muslin, vinyl and paper? What makes each better/worse than the others?

You might also think about purchasing a roll of charcoal gray paper from Savage...it can easily be lighted "up" to make white, or shot with a little bit of light added for a light gray background, or shot wit no background light for a dark gray background, ranging to almost black, depending on how much room you have and how far you position the main light from the background and how close the subject is positioned to the main light.

Dark gray seamless paper also takes color from gels fitted over a flash and aimed at the background quite nicely.

Canvas is very heavy,and good for permanent use. Muslin is lighter than canvas, and wrinkles a lot, but can easily be draped and clamped. I have not used vinyl for people, but it can be used on small products. Muslin and canvas can both be painted or dyed, which you can't really do too well with paper.

Gray paper is pretty easy to work with. Muslins are available from maybe 10 different internet-based companies. I hate seeing photos shot in front of wrinkly or creased muslins.

I agree about the wrinkles that's one thing that I'm concerned about b/c I live in an apt. so it will have to be stored. That's why I thought about the vinyl for easy clean up, and prob no wrinkles but it is super pricey. So, with paper, how long does it usually take you to get through a roll?

I will say that my only concession to using a backdrop is getting a Bottero collapsable one that I use only for 3/4 body or smaller portraits:
3019334915_bc059c448a.jpg

Mine is medium grey, but I can control the background with flashes and gels.

I may have a use for one of those but that photo is not the best advertisement. There are waves in the fabric at the top. Is this a common problem?

I agree about the wrinkles that's one thing that I'm concerned about b/c I live in an apt. so it will have to be stored. That's why I thought about the vinyl for easy clean up, and prob no wrinkles but it is super pricey. So, with paper, how long does it usually take you to get through a roll?
Like so many things, it depends.

A 9 foot wide x 12 yrd long roll of seamless paper is about $43 at B&H (Savage brand). If you use a 4x8 sheet of plexi (you really need 2 sheets) on top of that part of the paper that is on the floor, it will last a lot longer. However, the plexi will reflect your subject, so you need to consider that.

White 9' X 12 yrd. seamless is just $40 and people use the less expensive 4x8 tile board (the back is white) instead of plexi on the floor over the paper.

The primary reason I have a $100 a year NAPP membership is to get free regular shipping from B&H. I save about 5 times the yearly NAPP membership from that and their other perks/discounts on software, hardware, and other things. The magazine and all the really cool photoshop stuff is gravy. My accountant likes the idea too since the membership fee is a business tax deduction to boot.

www.photoshopuser.com is where you can learn more about NAPP. If you decide to join I wouldn't mind if you click on my referral link down there in my sig. I get bonus points for referrals.

How much does a sheet of plexi run? The NAPP membership kind of intrigues me, I looked on your link but it has no specifics about discounts. The B&H free shipping is pretty sweet, do you have any other specifics (discount %, where its available, etc.) that you could post or PM me?

Did you see this. You'll have to check on the plexi, I don't use it myself.

Adobe
Dell
Mac Mall
Dobro
Hoodman
On Software
hdrSoft
Office Depot
Lens rentals
eStudio Lighting
RentSenicBackgrounds.com
AutoFX Software
Mpix
Peachpit
Wacom

and that's just a partial list. Member services includes

Professional insurance (new)
Job Bank

Last edited:
I saw that page KmH, I was just looking for specifics on those sites, and how much of a discount you would get.

Most reactions

Back