Background support system needed

Avengerx77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to start doing some indoor portrait work and I was looking for a sturdy good quality system. I have seen several in Amazon but most of them have very mixed reviews. I wanted to get feedback from those who already owns this type of system and see which one can you recommend. Aside from the structure I am looking the standard white/black/green backdrops as well.

Thanks.

You can also inquire at the online photo supply stores such as B&H and Adorama.

Buy a decent brand; Cameron, Manfrotto, etc. a decent background stand should run $150 - $250.

Thanks for the recommendation. I run into a Ravelli system that already includes the white/black/green backdrops (made of cotton). It goes for $175 and seems to have good reviews. Have anyone heard about this brand?

I bought a background stand from Adorama
I can't find the exact one I bought but it was not a "cheap/weak" setup.
Here's a similar one like Adorama's Flashpoint with a white seamless background ==> BS10KIT

If you are perusing Amazon and picking the best setup with the most options for the lowest cost you are probably finding stuff that will fall apart and disappoint you in it's function and long term durability.

If you buy from a reputable place you can always easily return items too absent of restocking fees, etc.

I went with the Manfrotto Expan Drive set, with two auto poles, two accessory leg stand braces, three 9 foot wide poles, modified with velcro on one for using fabrics. This is a system that allows for VERY secure, floor-and-ceiling support contact points with large rubber feet, plus added large spread tripod-like stand braces which can be added is needed ,and the ability to use up to three rolls of paper either in a permanent or temporary situation. or to use one of the the background hook slots to slide in a cross-bar to add more rigidity.

2960D

E-Bay and Amazon have many, many made in China sets that are basically two medium-duty light stands, and a two- or three-sectrion crossbar, which means that each background change means that one background must be removed, and the next background replaces the earlier one. These lower-cost sets are mostly similar in design and quality: this is the type of thing that the Chinese lighting accessory industry can deliver at a pretty good price point. Just be aware that this two-stands-and-a-crossbar type of system means that every physical background change requires a swap-out and swap-in; this is the huge advantage of the Manfrotto system, with THREE, chain-driven background paper rollers OR one,two, or three velcro-fit fabrics that can be rolled up in seconds, and another backdrop chain-drive lowered, in seconds, or all three backdrops lowered, and then front and, middle backdrops rolled up, so you can go from 1, to, 2, to 3 very rapidly

The Expan Drive system also has "proper" expansion plugs for the ends of paper rolls, and allows for easy ONE-PERSON backdrop lowering and one-person backdrop elevation and rolling-up, without the need for a step ladder or stool. Sturdy, top-grade, and impressive to paying clients. Lifetime grade build.

I totally went el-cheapo in background stands, but I strictly use them indoors, and generally do not do backdrop changes.
Flashpoint Background System
works pretty good. for a little more you can get the 13x13, but ive never found myself needing more than the 10x10, especially indoors.
its just two basic folding stands with a two piece telescoping bar between them. our muslin backdrops slide over the bar via a sewn in loop at one end. In order to change backdrops, of course, I have to remove the pole to put another backdrop on.
Really though, it literally only takes me a few minutes to change backdrops anyway so even with the few times I have actually decided to rotate through more than one backdrop it has not been a real issue. It all breaks down into a pretty light and portable bag. This has been a handy setup in the portability department as we have used it numerous times on location to do portraits for wedding parties.

Thanks everyone, only reason I looked first if they are available in Amazon is that I don't live in the US, so not sure yet if Adorama and B&H will ship to the cargo company I use or accept my international credit card.

I am looking at a set to use indoors and that I can easily transport to other indoor locations, that is sturdy and ok quality (around the $100-$200 range). I will take a look at the ones you reccomended.

Most reactions

Back